ASG: ‘Light Walk’ set for Tues, Oct. 24

The Allegheny Student Government announced the date and time of the “Light Walk,” approved more than $15,000 in spending and appointed four students to college committees during their General Assembly on Tuesday, Oct. 17.
During her report, ASG President Nicole Recio Bremer, ’25, announced that a “Light Walk” would be held on Tuesday, Oct. 24, at 8:30 p.m.
“We walk with Public Safety throughout campus — we literally go everywhere,” Recio Bremer said. “We see and talk about where people feel safe, where there’s paths that have to be lit up or there’s a light that is not working, or whatever feedback students have to make students feel more comfortable on campus.”
The event is open to the entire student body and comes just over a month after a sexual assault was reported in a residential building on campus. The assault is currently under investigation by the Meadville Police Department.
Director of the Treasury Hunter Goerman, ’25, announced changes to the club finance process.
“Starting for next week’s finance requests, there will be an updated form where you can select what type of payment you want to use, so you don’t have to have it approved and then submit another check request or credit card request,” Goerman said.
He also announced that clubs would no longer be required to attend a Finance Committee meeting to receive approval for their finance requests. This comes after the most recent GA on Oct. 3, when Goerman announced that only clubs with requests over $100 would need to attend a Finance Committee meeting for approval.
Class of 2024 President Sasha Holguin asked Goerman about the current state of ASG’s budget.
“I was told that the budget was approved — like the college as a whole — by the Board of Trustees, but we have yet to get it,” Goerman replied. “I don’t know if there’s a timeline on when we’re supposed to expect it.”
Dean for Student Life Trae Yeckley, who serves as ASG’s adviser, added that no college department receives a budget until the Board’s vote.
“They just met this past weekend, and so I don’t know when exactly ASG should be getting a budget, but I hope in the next week or so,” Yeckley said.
Last year, ASG passed a budget in mid-September, after the formal count of the student body on “Count Day.” This year, ASG has yet to discuss the size of its funding during open session, including voting on how much funding will be allocated to different pools of money. Ordinarily, ASG’s budget consists of the General, Surplus, Speaker, Student Action and Culture, Identity and Leadership Coalition funds and is used to define exactly how much money is in each fund.
Goerman did not mention new financial guidelines for this academic year at the Oct. 17 GA. He had previously said that the rulebook would be “fully completed” by the end of Fall Break, in a Sept. 21 email to The Campus.
This week’s finance requests totalled $15,381 — $13,381 from the General Fund, and $2,000 from the Speaker Fund.

New Business
The Senate voted in four students to college committees during the “New Business” part of the agenda.
Nickel Spartz, ’26, who is researching the integration of creativity into curricula, was approved for the Curriculum Committee with all but two votes — Holguin and Senator Arilyn Hicks, ’24, abstained.
“I believe this committee will allow me to gain new perspectives as I carry out my research and give me a place to advocate for students in a field I am passionate about,” Spartz said.
Kent Cervantes, ’25, was approved unanimously for the Curriculum Committee as well.
“I understand the importance of the Curriculum Committee and I’m excited to hopefully be taking a part in it and having a hand in upholding this college’s integrity and vision,” Cervantes said.
ASG also appointed two students to the Campus Life and Community Standards Committee. Gunnar Bretell, ’24, pointed to his four years of experience as a student on campus, while Emiliia Grydnieva, ’27, cited a desire to improve the student experience at Allegheny.
After a two-minute discussion, the Senate unanimously voted against canceling next week’s GA, which will be held on Gator Day, Tuesday, Oct. 24, at 7:30 pm in CC 301/302.