The Campus wins five Keystones

Four members of The Campus’ staff were honored in the 2024 Student Keystone Media Awards, the Pennylvania NewsMedia Association announced on Thursday. The awards, given for work published in 2023, span from news coverage to cartooning, and represent the most won by The Campus’ staff since 2015.
News Editor Anna Westbrook, ’26, took first place in the “Ongoing News Coverage” category, for a series of stories reporting on campus-wide internet issues throughout the fall semester. Westbrook also received an honorable mention in the “Public Service/Enterprise Package” category, for a story on the planned return of the Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity to Allegheny’s campus.
Opinion Editor Sam Heilmann, ’26, recieved an honorable mention in the “Editorial” category for three pieces published in the fall — “Barbie is more than a blockbuster,” “Lacking connection” and “More time in Meadville.”
Moving beyond the written word, Editorial Cartoonist Henry Grefenstette, ’25, won second place in the “Cartoon/Graphic Illustration” for three entries from his series “Cognitive Dissonance.”
Editor-in-Chief Sami Mirza, ’24, received the Ralph Flamminio Memorial Award for an investigation last spring into the harmful side of Yik Yak, coverage of the September passing of Cinna Krushel, ’27, and reporting on the Allegheny Student Government’s November debate on filling their empty treasurer’s seat.
The Ralph Flamminio Award is given to a college journalist “passionate about journalism and the First Amendment, and a champion for a better-informed citizenry.”
The Campus competed in Division II of the contest, which includes all four-year colleges with enrollment under 10,000 students. This includes institutions like Lehigh University in Bethlehem, Duquense University in Pittsburgh, and Slippery Rock University in Slippery Rock.
The winners will be celebrated at a lunch in Harrisburg on April 11.