Fatal accident takes student’s life

Hannah Morris, ’17, was struck by a vehicle on North Main Street in front of the Allegheny College dorm North Village II late Thursday night on Oct. 29, 2015. Morris later passed away at Meadville Medical Center from sustained injuries.

According to the Meadville Police Assistant Chief Michael Tautin, no information has been released regarding the investigation of the event.

“We are not releasing information. The investigation is ongoing,” said Tautin.  

In an email sent out by the college’s president, James Mullen, he wrote that he had sympathy for those who are grieving.

“I realize how heartbreaking this news is for all who knew Hannah,” he wrote. “Please know that our hearts break together.”

Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer Sue Stuebner echoed Mullen.

“We’re just trying to help our community get through this right now and support each other, especially our students,” Stuebner said.

Interim Dean of Students Jacquie Kondrot also said that the school is hoping to focus on the students, and that she shares her condolences with Morris’ loved ones.

“We are deeply saddened by the tragic loss of Hannah Morris,” Kondrot said. “Our focus right now is on our students, to make sure that they have the support they need at this time of great loss to our campus community. Our thoughts are with Hannah’s family and her many friends.”

Mullen reminded students that counseling services are available at any time of the day, and that students can contact the Office of Spiritual and Religious Life if needed.

Professors were instructed by Provost Ron Cole to make accommodations for students who do not feel they can attend class, reminding the students to send their professors an email to let them know if that is the case.

A gathering was held at Ford Chapel at 2 p.m. on Oct. 30 for community members to seek and provide support.