DEVELOPING: Homophobic slur found in dormitory

UPDATED at 11:00 a.m. Thursday to reflect comments from Safety and Security.

UPDATED at 12:41 p.m. Thursday to reflect comments from Dean of Students Joseph DiChristina.

BY Daniel Bauer

Editor-in-chief of web content

An unidentified student attached a sign with a homophobic slur to a door in an unidentified dormitory, echoing similar incidents from last semester.

Director of Safety and Security Jeff Schneider confirmed that the perpetrators targeted the same student as last year.

The slur was discovered Wednesday morning at 7:45 a.m, when a concerned student reported the sign.

The sign was missing by the time Safety and Security arrived at the scene and has not been recovered.

Dean of Students Joseph DiChristina sent out a campus-wide email at 6:43 p.m. alerting students of the incident and calling it “an affront to the community.”

When reached for a statement on Thursday, DiChristina refused to offer further comment.

Click to view the text of the email Dean of Students Joseph DiChristina sent out the evening of the incident.

When reached for comment, Safety and Security could not provide additional information.

Though no relation has been established, the incident bears similarities to two incidents last semester in which homophobic slurs found in dormitories sparked controversy across campus.

The first incident occurred on Feb. 11, when a slur found on a student’s door in Walker sparked an investigation by the college.

Allegheny did not release an official statement on the incident for nearly two weeks.

A second incident, identical but unrelated to the first, occurred in early March.

DiChristina sent out an email the same day informing the campus community of the incident and announcing an investigation, though no culprits were ever openly identified.

The incidents prompted the “March Against Hate,” a protest organized by several student groups that sparked national coverage.

The Campus will continue to monitor this story as it develops.