Students Prepare for Halloween

By CORTNEY O’BRIEN ([email protected])

Homework won’t be the scariest thing on campus this weekend. Those with the stomach for the supernatural will be excited to learn about Allegheny’s upcoming Halloween events to be hosted by a slew of organizations.

Starting today, the brothers of Sigma Alpha Epsilon are hosting three consecutive nights of fright. Tonight from 7:30 -10:00 p.m. and Friday from 8:00 p.m.-12:00 a.m., the Sigs will open their doors for a haunted house, a first for fraternity members. Nick Meredith, ‘11, house manager of Sigma Alpha Epsilon, explained Sigma’s decision to host a haunted house and their excitement to bring something new to campus this holiday weekend.

“Haunted houses are the most popular thing to do during the Halloween season, and the way our house is set up seemed to be good enough to host one,” Meredith said. “We are trying to provide something more to campus than just the same old Halloween dance party.”

The haunted house will only be open to Allegheny students and IDs will be checked at the entrance. A walk through the house will take approximately 20 minutes. Meredith mentioned that the faint of heart should not shy away from the event.

“The haunted house will be scary, but it won’t be too extreme,” Meredith said. “Students who scare easily are still encouraged to come down, it will not be too intense for them.”

Allegheny student Winnie Wong, ’12, is excited for the sudden thrills the Sig house is sure to incite.

“I love haunted houses. I’m very jumpy but I don’t pass up opportunities to get scared,” Wong said.

Students can witness the Sig House’s spooky transformation for $2 presale or $3 at the door.

The spirit of the haunting holiday will continue Saturday night with the return of SAE’s Halloween dance party Saturday night from 10 p.m.-2 a.m. The Sig brothers encourage students to attend these weekend events because it will be a safe way to have fun; both the haunted house and dance party are alcohol-free events.

Delta Tau Delta will be hosting a dance party of its own Saturday night.  It’s scheduled to run from 10:00 p.m. to 2:00 a.m. The fraternity’s newest members will be running the alcohol-free event to take place at the Delt House. Students are encouraged to show off their best costumes.

Those in search of a bit more formal, yet still spooky, Halloween event may attend The Masquerade Ball Saturday night from 7-11 p.m. The masquerade is an annual event hosted by the Allegheny Swing Dance Club.  Those without a dancing background need not fret, for no experience is necessary. However, Julie Woods, ‘11, president of Swing Club, is teaching some dance steps Friday night from 8-10 p.m. in Montgomery Gym. In addition to dance moves, drinks and snacks will be provided. The masquerade will feature a variety of dances including the waltz, the tango and of course, swing. As for attire, Woods has only one request:

“Wear either formal wear or your Halloween costume, just make sure you can dance in it,” Woods remarked.

Whether screaming from spooks or dancing in disguises this Halloween weekend, Allegheny students will make trick-or-treating seem highly overrated.