ASG talks financial system overhaul

The Allegheny Student Government discussed the next steps in their financial system overhaul, condom distribution and a revival of the Ski and Snowboard Club at their General Assembly on Tuesday, Nov. 7.
In the second week without a director of the ASG Treasury, President Nicole Recio Bremer, ’25, read the weekly spending request and provided updates on the financial system. She said that a bookkeeper had been selected — but that the position would no longer be called a bookkeeper.
“It’s called a financial advisor, and so that’s a person already working for Financial Services that is going to be coming into the finance meetings and running everything that Dean (Trae) Yeckley and (Student Life Office Manager Tricha Young) were handling for us,” Recio Bremer said. “Her name is Calie Biase.”
Recio Bremer said later in the meeting that the application to be ASG’s treasurer was live, and that it would close at noon on Saturday.
“Hopefully interviews will be scheduled between Sunday and Monday, and then hopefully by Tuesday we can present candidates in front of you so we can have a discussion and you guys can either approve it or disapprove it,” Recio Bremer told the Senate.
ASG has been without a treasurer since Hunter Goerman, ’25, resigned last week.
In total, student groups requested $14,800 this week, including $2,400 for the South Asian Students Society’s Diwali event, $2,400 for the Hockey Club’s rink fees and almost $2,500 for new lighting for the Orchesis dance group. The requests were passed with a unanimous vote.

Recio Bremer also confirmed reporting last week from The Campus that the General Fund would total $335,000 for the year, but said that the Surplus Fund was still not known.
During “Adviser Announcements” later in the meeting, Dean for Student Life Trae Yeckley added that they “have a pretty good idea” of the size of the Surplus Fund and that they hope it will be finalized by next week’s GA.
“There is a conversation with (Chief Financial Officer) Linda Wetsell about earmarking a percentage of our surplus to a campus project, and she’s waiting to see how much of our surplus will be put to the campus project,” Yeckley told The Campus after the meeting.
Based on ASG’s public financial statements, The Campus has calculated this year’s Surplus Fund to total around $616,000.
During their report, Vice President Sam Ault, ’26, brought up the disappearance of baskets used to provide free condoms in bathrooms in the Henderson Campus Center.
“Whoever’s making the little baskets that we put the condoms in disappear, just put them back and/or quit making them disappear,” Ault said. “We miss them and we would like them to be there. It looks a lot better when they’re contained in a little basket rather than loose.”
Co-Director of Student Affairs London Dejarnette, ’24, added that two baskets had disappeared this past week alone.
It was not the only time physical contraceptives graced the Assembly. At the end of the meeting, Senator Chezka Therese Quinola, ’27, raised concerns about the variety in condoms provided.
“A lot of them are flavored and glow-in-the-dark,” Therese Quinola said, before being interrupted by laughter.
“My question is, when will like, I guess normal —” she continued, before being interrupted again by laughter from the assembly.
Dejarnette replied the variety was “not ideal,” but that ASG buys the condoms from a distributor and that the distributor selects the type and variety of the condoms.
“In the form that I fill out, I can put in there, ‘Hey, can you put in less of the funky ones in there,’” Dejarnette said. “But I don’t know if that’s going to actually — I don’t know if that will do anything.”
Attorney General Will Lowthert, ’24, suggested putting in a bulk order for “normal” condoms from the distributor, and Ault ended the conversation there to move the agenda along.
On the agenda for “New Business” was a vote to approve the club constitution for a revived Ski and Snowboard Club.
Taylor McKindley, ’25, represented the club at the GA.
“I’m just trying to bring back the Ski and Snowboard Club to give an opportunity for people to enjoy the sport, whether they haven’t really done it before — you can kind of learn — or for the people that have grown up skiing or snowboarding, to have a chance to come together as a community,” McKindley said.
The constitution was approved by the Senate, though at least two senators — Class of 2024 President Sasha Hoguin and Class of 2025 President Asaad Bell — voted against the club.
The official vote tally is contained in the meeting’s minutes, which were not posted to Engage by 5pm on Thursday.
Both Holguin and Bell said after the meeting that they voted against the Ski and Snowboard Club because it did not seem to offer anything new to students.
“I feel like those trips can happen through Outing Club,” Holguin said. “I don’t think there has to be a separate club.”
Bell added that he thought Outing Club already hosts skiing and snowboarding events during winter months.
“I have nothing against the club,” Bell said. “I don’t think it warrants an entire club dedicated to it.”
The Ski and Snowboard Club will need to be approved by Senate again at next week’s GA to receive ASG recognition. ASG will be meeting on Tuesday, Nov. 14 at 7:30 p.m. in room 301/302 of the campus center.