Men’s Soccer Update

By Pat Jameson, Staff Writer

Oct. 25, 2013

Allegheny Men’s Soccer hit a roadblock this past week, losing two consecutive games for the first time this season.

Wednesday’s game against Wooster College (3-9-1) resulted in a loss. Allegheny and Wooster kept the game scoreless until less than two minutes left. After two missed Gator shots, Wooster’s Philip Charnley knocked in a goal 88 minutes into the contest for the first score of the day. Allegheny could not answer in the final minute and the Fighting Scots came away with a 1-0 victory.

“It was a grueling game,” said defenseman Alejandro Wiel, ’15. “Both teams needed a win but Wooster wanted it more.”

Senior Goalkeeper Jon Lichina had a game-high of seven saves and his defense continously staved off a persistent Wooster attack that managed 19 shots on the day. Allegheny had 16 on-goal attempts of their own, including 9 in the second period but were unable to capitalize. With the loss, Allegheny falls to sixth place in the NCAC with only three games remaining.

Last Saturday, the Gators (7-5-3) faced the unbeaten Ohio Wesleyan Battling Bishops in Delaware, Ohio. OWU quickly showed why they are ranked first nationally, scoring four goals in the first period on route to a 6-0 win.

The Battling Bishops struck just three minutes into the contest and never looked back, outshooting Allegheny 28 to 11 on the day.

This Saturday’s game against DePauw is a crucial match up for the Gators. All three games remaining on their schedule are in-conference and Allegheny has a chance to sweep the table and secure a high seed in the upcoming NCAC tournament.

The Gators play again this Saturday at home. Kickoff is at 1 p.m.