Just the tips: Weekly advice on sex and sexuality from ReProCo

By JESIKAH LEEPER

Staff Writer

Alright men, it’s about time you take control of your own reproduction.

I haven’t done a survey, but I’m fairly certain most of you guys out there don’t want to be having a child any time soon. Condoms are quick and easy to use, but if you could stop worrying if your female partner was on birth control or hoping the condom doesn’t break, you’d like that wouldn’t you?

Recently a surge in alternative male birth control research has caused a stir and a lot of interest among men and women, and yet it still remains something many don’t know about. So let’s take a look at these tentative alternatives which in the next couple years may let you make more responsible decisions.

Currently in the United States the brand Vasalgel, based off another brand being tested in India on humans, has begun testing on rabbits. This alternative requires a reversible, one-time only, minor surgical procedure which involves the insertion of a gel-like liquid into the vas deferens (propels semen). This gel neutralizes the semen as it passes through, eliminating the potential for those little swimmers to make a baby. I know what you’re thinking, a shot to the dick? I don’t think so. To that, I say suck it up. The chance at a one- time, reversible procedure which will almost completely ensure your infertility until later, will within a couple years be available. Don’t let a little pain get in the way of pregnancy-scare-free sex.

Another exciting route of research has to do with what has been nicknamed the “Clean Sheet Pill,” because that’s exactly what it does. This pill, (still in the early stages of research) is taken before sex for a quick acting and short lasting relaxation of the vas deferens. The effect? No cum. Men will orgasm as always, sensations and all, but this time without the semen. All the fun, none of the cleanup. Not only does this pill drastically reduce pregnancy, but has also tested to significantly decrease the transmission of HIV.

These are just two alternative methods in progress right now, waiting to pass hundreds of tests, to be brought to men all over in hopefully a matter of years. These alternatives will require an alteration of thoughts on reproductive responsibility, but in the long run will benefit men and women alike. Again: pregnancy-scare free sex. There’s nothing hotter than not accidentally starting up the baby-maker.

If you have any questions or would like to submit your writing talents to Just the Tips, please feel free to e-mail us at [email protected].

Xoxo, ReProCo.

“Just the Tips” is a weekly advice column about sex and sexuality submitted by members of the Allegheny College Reproductive Health Coalition.