5 things I wish students knew

Graduation season is upon us. As the Allegheny College Class of 2024 prepares to walk across the commencement stage, I, too, am preparing for a commencement of my own. This June, I will retire following 26 years of service at the College, first as an adjunct professor during the 1998-99 academic year and then as a member of the career center team beginning in August 2000. Over the years I’ve learned a few things and have observed things that I wish students knew about “their” Center for Career and Professional Development and the skilled team of career development professionals who are here to work with them.
College is not just about earning a degree; it’s also about emerging into adulthood and preparing for life after graduation. Among the many resources available to students, the CCPD shines like a North Star, offering guidance, opportunities, financial support and direction on the path to post-graduation success. Yet, many students overlook or underutilize this invaluable resource. Here are five things that I wish every student knew about the Allegheny College CCPD.
1. Start early:
Perhaps the most crucial piece of advice is to start utilizing the career center early in your college journey. Don’t wait until your senior year to seek guidance on post-graduation plans. The earlier you engage with the team, resources and services offered by the career center, the better prepared you’ll be to make informed decisions about your academic and professional path. Whether you’re a freshman exploring majors, a sophomore/junior searching for internships or a senior drafting graduate school admissions essays or looking to connect with dynamic employers, the career center is here to support you at every stage of your college career. One of our past mantras was, “If we don’t know you we can’t help you.” Get into the CCPD early, let us get to know you and know your interests, enlist us as part of your support team. The career center team is here to support you as you seek success beyond the campus.
2. Once is not enough:
“Why didn’t I know about (fill in the blank)?” is one of the recurring questions that figuratively “drove me nuts” over the years. This calls most memorably as a question asked by a student who’d missed the opportunity to apply to interview with Deloitte when they recruited on campus. Clearly irate, he dropped in to ask why he hadn’t been aware of the opportunity. Visiting the CCPD the first time is only the beginning. Whether coming in to ask for assistance with the job or internship search or to clarify career interests, plan to meet with a career coach multiple times.
Just as a series of individual workouts leads to fitness, multiple meetings with career coaches over one’s Allegheny education leads to career readiness. The CCPD team has years of experience working with students as they’ve sought to identify opportunities to explore their interests and engage their skills. Frequently, simply having someone to actively listen as one thinks aloud can be an asset. We are all evolving human beings; an objective observer may hear and see patterns that the individual student is unaware of. Also, if we get to know you, we’re able to pass on opportunities that may be of interest as they present themselves.
3. Utilize the extensive services:
The Allegheny career center is more than just a place to dust up your resumes and search for internships. We offer services designed to equip students with the skills and knowledge necessary to thrive in the job market and be “Career Ready.” From career coaching and mock interviews to workshops on salary negotiation and creating a resume that beats artificial intelligence, our center is a one-stop shop for all things career-related, with many of the resources like Big Interview, Handshake and Gator2Gator available 24/7. We also oversee the awarding of nearly $250,000 in funding designated to support students who need financial support to make the completion of an internship a reality.
One size does not fit all when it comes to career advice. We recognize the individuality of each student and each student’s career aspirations. Meeting with a career coach individually allows us to provide personalized guidance that’s tailored to you. Whether you’re undecided about your major, exploring different career paths, or preparing for graduate school, career coaches are here to listen, advise and offer support every step of the way.
4. Take advantage of networking opportunities:
We’ve all heard the saying, it’s not what you know but who you know. As a twist, I believe that it’s who knows you and what you are capable of contributing to a role and an organization that leads to jobs, internships, and graduate school acceptances. The CCPD facilitates valuable networking opportunities that can open doors to future employment. From opportunities to meet with alumni over Homecoming weekend to Allegheny-specific job fairs and on-campus employer interviews, the career center team connects students with professionals who can offer insights, mentorship, job leads and interviews. Building these connections early can pay dividends in the form of clarity of interests, opportunities and direction throughout your career. In my experience, when someone exercises genuine curiosity and reaches out to alumni, or anyone for that matter, with open-ended questions about how they got started in their careers, trends they are observing, etc, that individual will be happy to share their story. At some point in the conversation, the individual will probably turn the table by asking, “tell me about yourself,” which provides you the opportunity to share an introduction and perhaps your resume. I’ve reached out in this way with questions to authors and magicians I admire which have resulted in chances to meet them and ongoing friendships.
5. Draw upon resources beyond graduation:
Your relationship with the career center team shouldn’t end when you receive your diploma. The CCPD offers resources and support to alumni as they navigate the ever-changing landscape of their lives and careers. Whether you’re seeking a career change, negotiating a salary or looking for ways to advance professionally, Allegheny’s career center can continue to be a valuable resource long after you’ve left campus.
In conclusion, the career center is an indispensable resource for college students embarking on their professional journey. By taking advantage of the comprehensive services, tailored guidance, networking opportunities, post-graduation support, and starting early, students can position themselves for success in the competitive job market. Remember, your college experience is not just about what you learn in the classroom but also about how you prepare for the opportunities that await you before and beyond graduation. So, don’t overlook the career center — it could be the key to unlocking your future success.

View Comments (1)