$50
$500

• A

AlleghenyApr 26, 2013 at 7:36 pm

I recently wrote a Motion for Summary Judgment for the 12th circuit concerning parody and copyright infringement and it makes me think about your piece. In Campbell v. Acuff-Rose Music, Inc. the Supreme Court Justices considered common conceptions about parody in order to classify different ways a defendant could raise a claim of “fair use.”

Legal mumbo jumbo aside – these Justices basically defined parody as a purposeful appropriation of some elements from a prior work in order to make a comment through ridicule. If a defendant establishes parody – then their work is not considered “copyright infringement” but rather a new form of art with a new message (ridicule).

Granted, the Greek life members could have intended to ridicule this form of dance. However, as a proud alum of Allegheny I would like to think differently. If we consider the intention of the Greek life members at this event, it is clear that were most likely incorporating these moves into their routine because they admired step as an art form. Therefore, the SAMS dance was not wrong because it was a “parody” (a form of ridicule). Rather, it is wrong because it infringes upon the creativity of the original dance performed by African Americans, creating a shallow replacement (similar to copyright infringement).

• A

Allegheny StudentApr 26, 2013 at 7:25 pm

“young buck” seems like a /very/ unfortunate choice of words for what’s going on here

• B

Bucktopus OtherkinniusApr 26, 2013 at 9:59 pm

How do you know which animal he transspecies identifies as? CIS SPECIES SCUM

• A

Allegheny StudentApr 27, 2013 at 12:17 am

i know you’re being facetious or w/e but young buck was actually a slave seller’s term for a young black man who will work hard

• T

That guyApr 26, 2013 at 12:10 pm

Are we all forgetting that there were black students in at least one of the routines? Who is to say that the members of these organizations were not educated on these routines? It is so fucking typical that the social justice elite at this school to instantly assume that because these students were white they are ignorant of everyone else’s culture. In case you didn’t know, that makes you the one who is ignorant!

• O

Oh.Apr 27, 2013 at 12:07 am

It is also ignorant of you to assume that anyone who is offended by anything is a part of the “social justice elite” that you speak of. And you’re right, who is to say that they weren’t educated just because one or two black people were in the routine (as if all black people are educated on the subject, just because they are black uh?). And no one assumes that all white people are ignorant of everyone else’s culture, but by differentiating “white” from “everyone else” just shows that you are ignorant of a lot of things sir, as many of your peers are as well. It is no secret that students at Allegheny are totally unaware of different cultures (and respecting different cultures, for that matter), or else conversations such as these would not be so heated and frustrating. You contradict yourself on so many levels sir. Grow up, and good day!

• G

GrizzlyLoverApr 26, 2013 at 12:07 pm

Important question, can I step simply because I like the dance style?

• S

SaulApr 26, 2013 at 12:29 pm

No Grizzly, stepping is reserved only for Blacks only. If you’re opposed to this inclusive policy, you are an evil racist 😛 Good day, sir…

• Y

yuh boiApr 26, 2013 at 12:02 pm

i dont like racism it makes me not wanna eat fried chicken

• G

GrizzlyLoverApr 26, 2013 at 12:15 pm

and I don’t get my purple drank to wash it down

• S

StudentApr 26, 2013 at 1:28 am

I really appreciate this article. I think it was well thought out and articulated. However, just as it was well thought out and articulated, so was the dancing presented. As a dancer of 18 years, I have had lessons in the art of Step. As a white student, I will never fully understand African American culture, but I do not think it is fair to assume stepping is done without knowledge.
    Two years ago, Step Afrika took the stage in Shafer and they taught us that stepping is something to be appreciated and admired. It is a hard form of dance, and they wanted to share the intricate steps with us. They taught us history and culture. So even if I had not grown up with dance experience, I learned it that day Freshman year.

• G

GrizzlyLoverApr 26, 2013 at 12:20 pm

Do you think its offensive for students who simply like the dance style to incorporate it into their dance routines?

• O

Oh.Apr 27, 2013 at 12:02 am

Actually, in her article, Asha was not saying that the stepping was offensive simply because of the dance being done; she was saying that it is offensive for Greek organizations at Allegheny to incorporate a practice that is a part of the culture of historically black organizations, but refusing to even take the time out to learn about historically black Greek organizations or to consider having any at Allegheny (since, Allegheny is “not ready” for such organizations was was proposed by some). So to answer your question, no, it is not offensive to incorporate the dance style simply because you like it. That was not the offensive aspect at all.

• C

Carolyn ShetterApr 25, 2013 at 7:02 am

This is a really nice article, thanks for writing it. I like your Eric Clapton and Kurt Cobain examples. This was a really classy way to address the jerks from the comments in Asha’s article.

Activate Search
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: The question isn’t who’s racist. It’s who’s a jerk.