$50
$500

• C

Charlotte VolpeMar 3, 2013 at 4:51 am

What you must keep in mind is the size of the venue, not so much the nature. According to Emily Lewis ’10, the last time I <3 The Female Orgasm came to campus, they were in an academic lecture hall (either the Carr or Quigley auditorium), but so many people attended that they had to hold it on two separate evenings. The only comparable location was Shafer Auditorium, and since it was on a Wednesday, that was already occupied by Wind Ensemble. Furthermore, the opinions of the masses ever since that fateful Wednesday almost two weeks ago have left me pondering how many really object on a religious basis, and how many just object to the content–thus indicating that they would complain regardless of where the event was held.

Reply
    • K

Kate MuellerMar 4, 2013 at 12:42 am

I definitely agree with your last sentence-people just go nuts when confronted with conversations about female sexuality, regardless of where they’re held. Allegheny saw a lot of these same objections the first time around, but never made national news. This time, the campaign was led by a well known muckraking Allegheny journalist who knew just how to stir up the loudest controversy, and it got picked up by the national news.

For the record, I’m very religious, but I understand Ford Chapel is not always a religious space. I’ve attended Mass in auditoriums, meeting halls, the Verizon Center where the Washington Wizards play basketball, and yes, Ford Chapel, and I’ve understood that none of those places are primarily places of worship just because we were worshipping there at the time. Ford Chapel hosted concerts and political debates in my time at Allegheny, and I don’t see a sexuality seminar as being any different. God is where His congregation is, and there was no congregation there that night- just a group of people meeting to educate themselves on a topic I don’t think we talk about enough, even in a sex-soaked society.

Reply
Activate Search
Use of Ford Chapel for sex programming disrespectful and offensive