$50
$500

• C

Cody MillerFeb 20, 2013 at 3:53 am

Does the sum of money Greek life raises via philanthropic fundraisers and/or the sum of time members spend participating in philanthropic activities exceed the sum of money the organization receives for dues and/or the sum of time spent members spend participating in non-philanthropic chapter-required events? Does it vary from fraternity/sorority?

I’m not saying that this alone does or does not warrant any fraternity/sorority’s existence on this campus, but it’s something to consider.

Reply
    • M

Max LindquistFeb 20, 2013 at 7:35 pm

Try reaching out to Colin Soliem. He sent me a spreadsheet from ACCEL with data that answers your questions, but I deleted it last week.

Reply
  • M

Max LindquistFeb 15, 2013 at 7:07 pm

I respectfully disagree with your article. To begin with, not every fraternity on campus is philanthropic. I applaud those that are, but to argue that philanthropy is the heart and soul of Greek Life on campus is stretching it. My main problem with Greek Life stems from the fact that transgendered individuals (or people who identify as something other than their biological sex) are not welcome to join some organizations on campus. I know from my Founding Fathers interview that FIJI does not allow transgendered men to join their organization. This is a direct violation of the Statement of Community:

Allegheny students and employees are committed to creating an inclusive, respectful and safe residential learning community that will actively confront and challenge racism, sexism, heterosexism, religious bigotry, and other forms of harassment and discrimination.

I think both Katie’s and Lee’s articles raise legitimate concerns and the Greek community feels threatened by them. It’s 2012, Allegheny. Time to evolve.

Reply
    • J

Jon WelshFeb 16, 2013 at 5:14 pm

Bylaws regarding membership eligibility of Greek letter social fraternities are not something the individual chapters have control over, they are a part of the overall constitution of the fraternity. Yes, it is unfortunate that not every has the privilege of joining Greek life for one reason or another, but the thing is joining is a privilege reserved for those invited by the current members of a chapter to join their brotherhood (or sisterhood). I promise you at least one organization on this campus is working towards opening membership to transgendered individuals and those who identify as something other than their biological sex. That being said, the idea of the Greek community feeling threatened is absurd. Just imagine how many donations would be lost once Greek alumni found out their chapters are no longer welcome at Allegheny.

Reply
      • M

Max LindquistFeb 16, 2013 at 5:20 pm

Don’t count your hens before they’ve hatched. I know DTD is trying to address the issue, but it doesn’t really matter unless something actually happens. It’s just ludicrous that the institution idolizes the Statement of Community and Greek Life feels like can be an exception to our code of conduct.

Reply
        • J

Jon WelshFeb 16, 2013 at 5:39 pm

I don’t believe we feel we are an exception at all. It takes time for these things to change, especially in establishments rooted in tradition such as Greek organizations. One thing that may be unrelated but really bothers me about the whole LGBT/Greek life debate is that in my time here I’ve never met an individual who is transgender or identifies as something other than their biological sex who has shown interest in joining and I really have to wonder why. Also, if there are individuals interested in joining Greek life but are unable because of stipulations out of the standing chapters’ control, I challenge them to join together and find Fraternity or Sorority who does not discriminate over such things and make the push to establish a chapter here at Allegheny and be an example of the change you want to see. If there isn’t one in existence, what is stopping anyone from creating their own? Greek letter organizations have a history of being founded for various causes. My history of organizations may be a little off, but Theta was founded in “opposition” to Fiji because one of the founding father’s sisters was not allowed to join. DTD was founded because the Phi Psi’s had overtaken the Neotrophian Society at Bethany College and our founding fathers sought to take it back for the general student body.

Reply
          • M

Max LindquistFeb 16, 2013 at 5:48 pm

I think this is going to be my final post, but I just want to make a final point that Greek Life clearly views itself as an exception to the Statement of Community. You stated in your post that you challenge people to “join together and find Franternities or Sororities who do not discriminate over such things”. You acknowledged that Greek Life on campus discriminates against certain populations and then you place the burden of accommodation and inclusion on those individuals who are discriminated against. It shouldn’t be there responsibility to find groups and organizations that are welcoming. Every group on campus should be welcoming to people regardless of their gender, sexuality, race, or religion.

• J

Jon WelshFeb 16, 2013 at 6:08 pm

I openly acknowledge there to be discrimination; however, just because a national organization has not revised their bylaws does not mean its local members share the same views on an issue. I personally don’t see anything wrong with selective membership. Even if an organization’s bylaws allowed for it, who’s to say a bid be extended? You said “Every group on campus should be welcoming to people regardless of their gender, sexuality, race, or religion.” I truly believe the Delts are welcoming of all individuals who have not given us reason to disallow them at our house regardless of any of the things you listed. Just because we are not permitted to allow certain people into our brotherhood, does not mean they are unwelcome.

• A

Ava CarvourFeb 16, 2013 at 6:38 pm

Jon, you say, “The idea of the Greek community feeling
            threatened is absurd.” Then you provide a veiled threat of your own, “just imagine how many donations would be lost once Greek Alumni found out their chapters are no longer welcome.” So, you’re suggesting that instead of ensuring that Allegheny is an inclusive environment for the students that currently attend our school, we should instead worry about all the money we’d lose once
            the people of privilege feel that they “are no longer welcome”. What a shame that everyday on this campus people feel that they are not welcome because Greek Life is designed around ideals of privilege, tradition, and exclusion.

It’s not a surprise that you’ve never met anyone who was
            “transgender or identifies with someone other than their biological” sex who was interested in joining. Why wonder? The answer is obvious; Greek Organizations are organized to be hostile to their joining.

So, I have to agree with Max here. The onus should not be
            placed on those who are discriminated against and excluded to strike out and form their own groups because they are not invited to join those that already exist. If Greek Life’s so “great” why isn’t inclusion a given and why can’t the privilege of tradition be tossed to the side?

• P

Paul RovedaFeb 16, 2013 at 7:05 pm

It’s 2013 champ.

Reply
      • M

Max LindquistFeb 16, 2013 at 7:06 pm

Oops. Duly noted

Reply
Activate Search
Philanthropy, not partying, sustains Greek Life