Groups gather for galas

Queers and Allies Prom: Redux invites all students, regardless of sexual orientation, to attend the prom.

The event originated after its organizers learned about Mississippi high school officials that canceled a prom because a lesbian student wanted to wear her tuxedo and bring her girlfriend along to the dance.

Annie Krol, ‘11, vice president of Queers and Allies explained that although this is an extreme case, many students have similar experiences.

“Various high school students who are gay or identify themselves as ‘queer’ aren’t allowed to have same-sex coupling [at their prom],” said Krol.

Q & A hopes to give students the opportunity to make the most out of their once spoiled night by giving them permission to invite anyone they please, dress as they please, and enjoy the prom the way they should have in high school.

The revamped prom will be hosted at the Vuk with light refreshments, traditional prom decor, and photographs taken by Marianna Kreidler, ‘11. The playlist has been created on Google Docs, so any student can contribute to it.

Allegheny staff members Courtney Bailey and Lynn Zlotkowski will chaperone while students enjoy the night.

Q & A secretary Nikki Murray, ‘11, encourages students to come as they are.

There is no dress code. Men can wear dresses; women can wear suits. If students prefer to dress in costume, or jeans and a t-shirt, they are welcome to do so. A prom queen and king (not gender specific) and other titles will be crowned.

“It’s a second chance [at prom],” says Krol. “One we, collectively as a community, can make our own.”  The prom is free of charge and will begin at 8 p.m.

On Saturday night the Association for the Advancement of Black Culture (ABC) will be hosting its annual Ebony Ball.

The Ball will include a dinner, served at the Italian Civic Center in Meadville, from 6:30 to 11:30 p.m. ABC will also be providing shuttle services to and from the venue. The event is formal.

“The Greek organizations on campus have formals,” said ABC member Trevor Urk, ’11. “The Ebony Ball is ABC’s version of that. It is an excuse to dress up, and it is open to everyone.”

The organizers of the ball hope to strengthen ties between different minority groups on campus and to enhance camaraderie.

Although The Ebony Ball and Prom: Redux are only separated by one night, both minority groups encourage attendance at each other’s events.

“It’s a celebration of culture,” said Eunice Kessie, ’11, who sold tickets to the Ebony Ball and who plans on attending both events. “It’s one party after another.”

“I think they are both great things,” said the director of Diversity Affairs, Cherjanét Lenzy. “We have folks coming together, celebrating each other. That’s beautiful.”

Tickets will be sold at the Office of Diversity Affairs today from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. and from 3 to 5 p.m. Prices for the Ebony Ball are $7 for singles and $10 for couples.