Allegheny plays to disappointing draw vs. St. Vincent

DJ Egan, '11/Photo by Charlie Magovern

Allegheny’s Men’s Soccer team played to a 1-1 tie tonight against St. Vincent at Robertson Field, increasing their winless streak to three games. After starting out the season 3-0 and outscoring opponents a combined 7-0 in the contests, the Gators have been held to only one goal in the past three games, which include shutout losses and tonight’s tie.

Allegheny struck first when Pete Subasic, ’11, found sophomore Travis Tasker for a score in the 15th minute. Allegheny continued to dominate the Bearcats for the majority of the game, but despite multiple quality scoring chances was unable to add on another goal.

With the game seemingly under control, St. Vincent was able to put a run together and find the net in the 83rd minute. The Gators failed to strike in both overtime periods despite controlling the ball for the majority of the twenty minutes, and the game ended in a 1-1 draw.

After being shut out in the previous two games, head coach Angelo Panzetti was hoping for a more inspired performance against a St. Vincent team that had only scored one goal up until tonight.

“I’m very disappointed with our performance tonight,” he said.

The Gators have a chance to right the ship this weekend at the Kenyon Tournament, where they are scheduled to face Otterbein and Capital Universities. Kickoff against the 1-4 Otterbein squad is scheduled for 1 p.m. Saturday.