Courts courting corruption

The recent Supreme Court ruling in the case of Citizen’s United vs. Federal Election Commission threatens the very principle of our democracy.

wtv-zone.com - Big decisions were made in the Supreme Court last week.

The clearly politicized decision lifted restrictions on campaign spending by corporations and unions. This means that corporations and unions have the ability to influence the outcome of every election.

They can now fund candidates that will pass legislation that is favorable for big business and not for the regular citizens of the United States.

The court’s decision passed with a slim 5–4 majority. The majority claimed that restricting a corporation’s or union’s ability to donate money to a candidate is restricting their freedom of speech.

Since when were corporations and unions entitled to the laws granted to individual citizens?

Yes, corporations are considered, under the law, a single people. That is to say that they can act as a single body, but does that entitle them to the rights of a single American citizen?

Of course not.

The court is supposed to interpret the law and constitution in terms of the case. While the First Amendment is clear about the rights it gives individuals doesn’t mean it cannot be interpreted differently. As I said, corporations are considered as people under the law, but that does not mean that they are equivalent to me as an individual citizen of the United States.

Corporations, as well as unions, have their own agendas. Corporations are profit driven and their main concern is to make money and keep their share-holders happy.

Therefore, they are incredibly biased in their political beliefs.

Not only are they biased, they have an endless supply of money to pump into candidates that do what is right for them, and in almost every case, what is wrong for the American people.

In fact, I think that it is safe to say that what is good for big business is bad for the regular citizen.

Not only is this Supreme Court decision unfair to the people of the United States, it strike at the very fabric of our democracy.

As melodramatic as that statement sounds, it is entirely true.

The fairness of every election to come is now in question.

Will our government be the government of the people, by the people and for the people? Or will it be of big business, by big business and for big business?