$50
$500

• C

CraigFeb 10, 2010 at 4:14 pm

When I was at Allegheny, there was a Student Technology Focus Group and a student representative who sat on the Library and Information Technology Committee — is there a student sitting on there now? It would be a great issue to bring up at those meetings.

Reply
  • B

BeckyFeb 7, 2010 at 11:03 pm

I agree that this point system is ridiculous. It really punishes students who want to do well. For instance, my math professor posts practice quizzes and tests on Sakai. I find it helpful to print them all out and complete them in order to prepare. Lo and behold, I am now low on printer points. Students shouldn’t be punished for seeking out extra help and practice. Also, I need to physically “mark up” scholarly articles and want to get a good sense of a wide array of research for my comp topic. Now I feel really limited in terms of the potential scope of my reading material since I’ll have to think about rationing printer points.

Reply
  • J

jaffeaFeb 4, 2010 at 8:59 pm

Are you serious? This is ridiculous, I didn’t know Allegheny started this. Someone should comp on the amount of energy/resources saved by the printer points system vs. the amount of energy wasted on reading things online.

I really think in some ways Allegheny sacrifices the quality of student lives for sustainability’s sake, and don’t get me wrong, I’m all for mother nature, but how much of this is about selling an image to prospies?

Reply
Activate Search
Peeved about the points