Ties with Iran Fracture

By CLAY MORAN
Featured Writer
Throughout the 2008 primaries, John McCain exerted “Bomb, bomb, bomb Iran!” on numerous occasions.  While the Republican presidential hopeful grasped a definite strategy, the Obama administration continues to waver over the Iranian foreign policy.

United Nations sanctions have been the main strategy for the Obama administration.  These sanctions have had minimal effect; however, both the administration and international community continue to operate through this medium.

Failed sanctions result from two factors.  The mental disconnection of President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad allows minimal progress with these ordinary diplomatic negotiations. Consequently, as the second reference point, the government’s responsibility to the Iranian citizens has been severed.  The grand Ayatollah regime fulfills its own self–interests without credibility to the constituents.

This breach of trust provides a pivotal opportunity for the United States and international community to effectively intervene.  The current Iranian policy involves the impeccable Iranian government; this method yields no results.  Instead, the new policy must deal directly with the Iranian citizens, who have become ecstatic for dramatic change.

The faulty Iranian regime also extends within the government itself.  The Heritage Foundation reports that several key government officials have broken ties with Ayatollah Khamenei and President Ahmadinejad in order to support the incumbent election–rival, Mir-Hossein Mousavi.  Some cited officials include former President Ali Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani and Grand Ayatollah Hussein Ali Montazeri.

The recent election protests have revitalized the hope for a better Iranian state.  The Iranian officials matched these protests with brute force, killing hundreds of their own citizens.  Political dissidence has overtaken Iran, an event which provides the United States an opportune circumstance to aid the oppressed party.

Confronting Iran may seem absurd when the United States begins to focus on Afghanistan.  Many critics argue that the United States will dispense its resources.  While caution must be exercised, immediate action must also occur for an effective outcome.

Iran has become the political powerhouse of the Middle East.  It reserves a tremendous political influence within the collective Arab states and yields riches in natural resources-oil being the primary resource.

Nearly 25 percent of the world’s daily oil shipments pass through the Strait of Hormuz, which is part of the Persian Gulf.  Controlled by Iran, a significant portion of world oil supply (from parts of Saudi Arabia, Iraq, Iran, United Arab Emirates) can be restricted by the disgruntled regime.

Recent reports by Iran’s state media affirm plans to construct ten uranium enrichment plants, which will create nuclear bomb-grade uranium, the Wall Street Journal reports.  This report, along with recent trade deals with Syria and China, anticipate the development of nuclear weapons.

Long-range ballistic missiles have already been developed and successfully tested by Iran.  This technology will continue to improve from analyzing Iranian technological trends over the past few years.
Perhaps the most important implication with Iran regards Iraq.  Throughout the American intervention with operation Iraqi Freedom, Iran provided, supplied, and housed insurgents to combat U.S. forces in Iraq.  Traceable funds from Iran were also provided for arms trafficking across the Iran–Iraq border for those insurgents.

Lasting stability within the Middle East cannot occur unless Iran’s current direction is altered.  Obama’s current Israeli–Palestinian peace process will also fail unless the region is stabilized.

The current political and social unrest demands attention.  The United States needs to take the initiative in conjunction with Iranian oppositional forces to expel the corrupt regime.  This decisive action will allow U.S. goals in the Middle East to become a reality.

Military action certainly is not necessary in this situation.  A strong focus must be placed upon cooperation with the Iranian opposition Mousavi and his strong supporters.

While the details are defaulted to the regional experts, immediate action will undoubtedly bring success.