Letter to the Editor

SAE has benefits

To Whom It May Concern:

Your article of January 26 regarding the Town Hall to reestablish a chapter of Sigma Alpha Epsilon (SAE) at the Allegheny College omitted the benefits of participation in Greek life, and the mission of SAE.
As Allegheny alumni and SAE brothers, our aim in reestablishing the chapter is to enhance the campus experience for the Allegheny community, providing a motivated set of young men a positive opportunity for leadership, service and camaraderie. A fraternity is a unique vehicle for such things – for forming closer, more lasting relationships with fellow students, and for improving oneself as well as serving others. During much of our time at Allegheny, SAE had the highest grade point average of any fraternity or sorority, much higher than the student body average, while serving the college through numerous campus events.
Our SAE credo is The True Gentleman, a 100+ year old statement of principles, that among other things defines our brothers as men “whose conduct proceeds from good will and an acute sense of propriety” and “whose deed follows his word; who thinks of the rights and feelings of others, rather than his own; and who appears well in any company, a man with whom honor is sacred and virtue safe.” Those traits are as honorable today as ever.
When any group of human beings exhibits unimpeachable conduct in perpetuity, we will be duly impressed. Organizations take on the character of their members. As has happened at many other organizations throughout society, including fraternities and sororities at a number of colleges, a decade ago our chapter took on a poor character, falling well below the standards we and Allegheny College demand. The best solution for the Allegheny SAE chapter was to close, wait, and start over. Now, upon our return, we want young men who have and will instill in the chapter their character, which will be that of True Gentlemen. There are no other criteria.
Re-founding a fraternity chapter is a tremendous opportunity for qualified candidates. When we interview candidates in our business lives, we look for leaders, people willing to start things and make them a success. Starting a fraternity chapter demonstrates that leadership, and it provides a lifetime of valuable experiences, connections, and friendships.
What’s in it for us? Nothing. Consider our effort to re-establish the chapter as our continuing service, honoring our commitment to our credo, and making Allegheny College an even better place.

On behalf of SAE PA Omega Re-Establishment Committee,
– Steve Orkis, Class of ’08
– Fred Eames, Class of ’86

View Comments (2)