Allegheny College taps new provost

Photo courtesy of Allegheny College

Angela T. Haddad will assume the role of provost and dean of the faculty on Aug. 1.

Allegheny College recently announced the appointment of Angela T. Haddad as provost and dean of the faculty at Allegheny College in a press release.

The role has been held by Ron Cole, ’87, since 2015. Cole will continue to serve in its capacity until June 30. Haddad assumes her new position on Aug. 1.

“I am delighted to join the Allegheny College community and feel privileged to serve the faculty, staff and students of a storied liberal arts college,” Haddad said. “I look forward to working with the campus and local community to build upon the college’s past successes and realize the institution’s aspirations.”

Haddad has previously served as an associate professor and department chair of sociology, anthropology and social work at Central Michigan University, associate provost at Barnard College and senior associate dean of the School of Arts and Sciences at Hunter College.

The release posits that Haddad’s hiring will assist in further implementation of college president Hilary Link’s Renaissance Vision — previously referred to as Link’s strategic realignment or Link’s plan.

“(Haddad) is a visionary and dynamic leader who brings a wealth of insight and experience as both a faculty member and administrator to the role of provost and dean of the faculty,” Link said. “She has a deep appreciation for the value and importance of an interdisciplinary education that challenges students to seek new perspectives and solve problems, and we are very excited to welcome her to Allegheny’s tradition of excellence and innovation.”

The announcement of Haddad’s hiring comes just under two weeks after the board of trustees voted unanimously to approve Cole’s academic program report, which recently spurred students to action following the announcement of cuts to the Chinese minor.

This is a developing story and will be updated.