The Campus recognizes graduating staff members

A salute to our seniors

Traditionally, The Campus doesn’t post stories about itself as it is a conflict of interest. But, as COVID-19 shuttered the 2019-2020 school year, we found it imperative to recognize our fellow staff members who are leaving us and who have taught us so much about writing, editing and ultimately running a college newspaper.

Running a paper isn’t easy, but you wouldn’t know that from people like Matt and Lauren. They never complain about how much work they have to do or how little time they have left. From running at the last minute to catch a speaker on campus to staying in late on Thursday nights to ensure meeting the Friday print deadline, Matt, Lauren and the rest of the seniors have made it a priority to put out a paper each week for the last four years.

Why do they do it? Well, they do it because they are passionate about their work. They understand the importance of ensuring a breadth of information, ideas and photos are put out each week to spark conversations, to address outrage or even, in effect, creating outrage. The work of the press is not easy, it is not always pretty, but it is essential.

They also do it because they love the paper, the people they work with and Allegheny College. Since 1876, The Campus has had a rich tradition of journalistic excellence and experience. Alumni like Ida Tarbell serve as an inspiration to our staff members, and our seniors strive for professionalism and high-quality content every week.

The following graduates have always given their all in their work, and we salute them in their accomplishments and all their future endeavors.

Lauren Trimber, left, Editor-in-Chief

Lauren Trimber: On staff for 4 years, Lauren has served as a contributing writer, news editor, features editor, and editor-in-chief.

Lauren, you often referred to yourself as my on campus mom, and I actually can’t think of a better way to describe our relationship. Thank you for teaching me so much this year and for great adventures in the newsroom, especially on the days where we were all going a little bit crazy. It’s going to be weird without you there next year, but I hope you accomplish everything you want and I wish you all the luck in the world. -Sara

Lauren, since I joined staff my freshman year, you have always been so kind and helpful, and I wish we could have finished out the year in the newsroom. Thank you for all of your advice and support, and best of luck in your future endeavors. -Ethan

Lauren, you can’t begin to imagine the ways I admire you as an editor and as a person. You’ve devoted yourself to working unimaginable hours on the paper, but you’ve also made the newsroom a community and a home for the staff. We will be waiting anxiously to hear about your successes, and we can’t wait to welcome you back for a visit. – Olivia

Lauren, I am so happy to have gotten to know you this year, despite it being cut short. You are incredibly intelligent, open-minded and always accepting, which helped me feel at home when I first joined the staff, and is something I really look up to. Thank you for letting me into the gang, and for always being so encouraging about all the new ideas that were thrown around the room. Cheers to your sparkling bright future girl!! -Kaleel

Lauren, even though I’ve only worked with you for this semester you’ve always made me feel welcome and encouraged me in my endeavours, and I’m so happy that I got to know you! You’ve been such a hardworking editor-in-chief and writer, you are destined for success out in the world! Good luck!! 🙂 – Alana

Matt Steinberg, Editor-in-Chief

Matt Steinberg: On staff for 4 years, Matt has served as a contributing writer, features editor, and editor-in-chief.

Matt, similar to Lauren you’ve referred to yourself as my campus dad, and I honestly think that is exactly what you and Lauren were. Late night Thursdays became one of my favorite nights this past year, and I never knew what to expect with you two. I’ll miss you a lot and great luck out in the real world. -Sara

Matt, your positive attitude and humor always light up the room, and I wish I would have had the chance to know you longer. Thank you for your advice and support as an editor and now as editor-in-chief! All the best in your future. -Ethan

Matt, I truly don’t know if I’ve ever met a kinder person. The fact that you combined that genuine kindness with the tough decisions an editor-in-chief and a journalist has to make, regardless of the day or the hour of night, will always astound me. I am so grateful to have had you for an EIC, however briefly. Best of luck! – Olivia

Matt, it was a joy being able to create a new column with you, and also write jokes together. You are patient, flexible, and have a great sense of humor. In the time I’ve gotten to know you, I’ve always looked up to you and hope to one day be as well read as you are. I’m excited to see what the future has in store for you!! – Kaleel

Matt, I’m sad to have only gotten to know you this year! I felt so welcomed by your kindness and encouragement at the Campus. Not only that, you’ve been a wonderful editor-in-chief, writer, and friend to all in the newsroom. Best of luck with your future endeavours!! -Alana 

Hannah Schaffer, News Editor

Hannah Schaffer: On staff for 4 years, Hannah has served as a contributing writer, features editor, science/international editor, and news editor. 

Hannah, while I don’t think we really knew each other in my first year on staff, I’m so glad you joined the news team in my second year so we got the chance to become friends. Everything became even more enjoyable with you, and some of my favorite moments in the newsroom this last year were moments with you in it. Good luck with everything, and I’ll miss you. -Sara

Hannah, it was such a privilege to work with you as a news editor. You are so diligent, reliable, kind, and caring. I’ll miss you and Louie so much! Good luck in all that you do. -Ethan

Hannah, I’ll never forget the way you welcomed me into the newsroom and continued to make me feel at home there. Your diligence, regardless of your workload in classes and other extracurriculars, will keep inspiring me for the next year, even while I’m missing you and Lou terribly! Can’t wait to welcome you back for a visit. – Olivia

Hannah, you are one of the most capable, calm and personable multi-taskers I have ever met. I’ll definitely miss all the Louie appearances, and your interesting input on things during the staff meetings. I wish we had worked together more, and I’m excited for what this coming future will bring you. Can’t wait to see you continue to grow into the brilliant woman you are! – Kaleel

Hannah, I wish we had worked together more, but I greatly appreciate all your help and feedback on my articles! You’ve always been kind to me and I’m sure you’ll be so successful with all of your future endeavours. Best of luck!! – Alana 

Henry Sutter, Sports Editor

Henry Sutter: Henry has served as a contributing writer and a sports editor for the past year.

Henry, while you didn’t join staff until the middle of the year, you became one of my favorite people on staff once you did. To be honest when I think of you probably the first thing I will think of will be that one Wednesday night adventure we had. Good luck at Syracuse and I hope you have a great time going into journalism. -Sara 

Henry, you were always so positive and, though I didn’t work for you for long, it was a pleasure working with you. Best of luck in your future in journalism. -Ethan

Henry, I am so glad that our time on staff overlapped, even if it was for less than a semester! You took over sports with a quiet competency and were a joy to be around at the same time. I wish you nothing but the best at Syracuse and beyond. – Olivia

Henry, my only regret is that we never worked on the comedy column together- you had a pretty striking sense of humor. Good for you for diving more into Journalism. You’re a great writer with a thoughtful and persistent take on the stories around. We never really talked too much one on one unless it was about roasting someone/something, but I’m looking forward to the work you’re going to create. Cheers to your exciting future! – Kaleel 

Kelsey Evans, photographer and staff writer

Kelsey Evans: Kelsey has served as a staff photographer for 4 years, and she has also written numerous stories as a staff writer.

Kelsey, while we don’t really know each other that well, I really enjoyed your ideas and articles this year, like the creation of the Campus TikTok and your cranberry sauce article. Good luck with everything you do in life, and I hope you get to do your video elevator series someday!-Sara

Kelsey, you always brought so much creativity and energy to staff, and, like Sara, I cannot get over the cranberry sauce article. The best of luck to you! -Ethan

Kelsey, you always delivered the best photos for my articles, so it’s hard to tell if I’ll miss that or the funny articles more – either way, we’ll miss having you around! – Olivia

Kelsey, forget the cranberry sauce article- your crocs and clout were the peak of this campus and Allegheny will never recover with you graduated. While we don’t really know each other, I’ve always seen your work around (before I joined staff) because you had such undeniable talent with everything you applied yourself to. Keep going. I’m looking forward to where life takes you next! Cheers! – Kaleel

Shaelyn Ursidia, Features Editor

Shaelyn Ursida: Shae has served as a features editor for the past year.

Shae, while we didn’t really get to know each other until towards the end of this year, I always felt a little bit happier when you came into the newsroom. I never knew what you were going to say next, but I always found myself laughing at something. Good luck with everything! -Sara

Shae, you always brought humor and positivity to the newsroom, and, though I didn’t get to work with you for long, you really brought your best to features. Best of luck to you! -Ethan

Shae, you brought so many smiles to my face when we were in the newsroom together. Thank you for being ready with a sense of humor – it made crunch nights more fun! – Olivia

Lindsay Baase, web manager

Lindsay Baase: Lindsay has served as the web manager for 2 years.

Lindsay, while I didn’t really get to know you, I just want to say thanks for being our web advisor, and good luck in life! -Sara

Lindsay, I wish we could have worked together more frequently, but thanks for keeping our website up and running. Best of luck in all your future endeavors. -Ethan

Taylor Renk, Opinion Editor

Taylor Renk: Taylor has served as an opinion editor for 2 years.

Taylor, thanks for being our opinion editor! We may not have really gotten to know each other that well but I will always remember that one day where the lady knocked on the door looking for you and we didn’t know what to do. It seems weird to say good luck in the world as you have already been there since the end of last semester, but good luck with everything else! -Sara

Taylor, I wish we could have worked more together, but I learned a lot from your opinion work this year. Best of luck to you! -Ethan

To Everyone: You guys are amazing and we’re going to miss you a lot. Thank you so much for a great year and becoming great friends this past year. The last Thursday night in the newsroom is a memory that I will hold onto for a long time. Good luck with everything you want to accomplish and come back and visit us! -Sara

I’ve never met a group of people so creative, positive, and determined to put a paper out each week. I wish we had more time together. Thank you for your advice, support, and friendship. I wish you all nothing less than the best of every opportunity that comes your way. You’re always welcome in the newsroom. -Ethan

Every passing year in the newsroom makes me more nostalgic, but you all make for one extra-difficult goodbye. I am so grateful to have had the chance to work with you, and I cannot wait to hear what each of you accomplish. Best of luck! – Olivia

I’m so grateful to have spent time working with you, even though it wasn’t that long. You all are so determined, creative, and amazing and you’ll be missed greatly at the Campus! Even though I’m sad to see you all go, I know you’ll all do incredible things out in the world. Good luck to all of you!! -Alana