This week in Allegheny history, as told by The Campus

April 22, 1971
– For Allegheny’s second Earth Day celebration, former Governor of Pennsylvania Raymond P. Shafer, ’38, delivered the keynote address on April 21 at 7:30 p.m. His speech was meant to kick off the Earth Day events.
– Though The Campus did not run coverage of Earth Day events in their April 13 and 16 editions, Allegheny students found themselves writing praise about how much people cared about ecological issues, despite being in the midst of the Vietnam War.

April 22, 1980
– The Campus ran a preview of the events in their April 16 edition.
Allegheny College, alongside the Meadville community, hosted a variety of events to celebrate the 10th year of Earth Day. Events included:
– Tour of the Linesville fishery and hatchery, Woodcock dam and Meadville waste/water treatment plant
– Lectures and slideshow presentations in the Campus Center and Alden
– A showing of “Sensor Suicide” in Quigley Auditorium with a discussion afterward

April 22, 1988
– In the April 28 edition, The Campus reported that Allegheny’s Society for Environmental Awareness celebrated Earth Day with several campus activities to raise environmental awareness. Events included:
– A petting zoo in front of Alden Hall
– Planting two oak trees on campus
– Assisting Allegheny’s Outing Club in setting up their informational display in the Campus Center lobby
– In addition to these activities, there was supposed to be a hot air balloon event that had to be rescheduled

April 22, 1993
– Allegheny’s Society for Environmental Awareness celebrated Earth Day the Saturday prior, hosting band performances, environmental awareness speeches and a t-shirt sale. Funds from the T-shirt sale went to supporting research in the biology and environmental science departments.
– In the April 22 edition of The Campus, staff members wrote an editorial calling for Allegheny to become a more environmentally conscious college. Specific grievances were with energy-draining lights and heat, and with loosely-sealed residence halls that required more energy to heat.

April 22, 2001
– For this year’s Earth Day, Allegheny College awarded an honorary degree to real-estate environmentalist Douglas Durst. Durst attended Allegheny for two years before graduating from Fieldstone School in 1962.
– On top of receiving a Doctor of Humane Letters, Durst spent the day on campus meeting with faculty and environmental science and studies students.