ASG persists through difficulties: helping clubs and holding small meetings

Amidst the COVID-19 outbreak, Allegheny Student Government continues to guide clubs through elections and budget hearings. However, the way the members are conducting their usual tasks has changed significantly. 

President Jason Ferrante, ’20, explained that he announced a few weeks ago to members of ASG in an email that hosting remote meetings with the full senate would be almost impossible. 

“This would present an extreme challenge for many students, especially as COVID-19 spreads,” Ferrante said in an email. “If there is a need, we will convene a special emergency meeting, but as of yet, that does not appear warranted.” 

Despite this, ASG is still hosting regular, smaller meetings with its advisor, Associate Dean of Students for Wellness Education Gretchen Beck, Ferrante, Vice President Elyse Cinquino, ’20, and Chief of Staff Jared McHale, ’20. 

“We are including the president and the vice president elect as well,” Ferrante said. “(We want) to ensure they are up to speed on our conversations as well.”  

As ASG continues to work remotely, senate members are primarily focused on guiding clubs through budget hearings and elections. Besides that, however, many tasks that would have been on the agenda this semester have been pushed to next year, specifically cabinet selection and senate elections.

“This was done to ensure a level field for all students, and make sure that the current situation does not advantage or disadvantage any potential new ASG member,” Ferrante said.