Wendy’s shooting in Edinboro, PA takes life of employee

A 22-year-old man died after a shooting at a Wendy’s in Edinboro, a town that lies approximately 20 miles from Meadville, on Saturday, Jan. 25. 

After an attempted robbery which resulted in the death of Alexander Cavanah, the police now have a suspect in custody. The Wendy’s where the shooting occurred issued a statement on Tuesday, Jan. 28.

“We are heartbroken by this tragedy and our deepest sympathies are with (Cavanah’s) family, friends and loved ones,” the statement reads. “We want to thank our brave team members, the first responders and the staff at UPMC who made every attempt to save Alexander’s life, and for the swift efforts of law enforcement which led to the capture of the suspect.”

According to Erie County Police, officers were called to Wendy’s in Washington Township and found Cavanah, an employee at Wendy’s, shot in the leg and abdomen. Cavanah later died at UPMC Hamot. 

The suspect, Markese Lampley, was apprehended later that day and is charged with murder in the first and second degree. 

Friends and family of Cavanah gathered for a vigil in the Wendy’s Parking Lot at 6 p.m. on Tuesday. 

The President of Edinboro University, Guiyou Huang, has also issued a statement. Cavanah’s wife graduated from Edinboro University. 

“Dear Students and Colleagues, I want to reach out directly regarding yesterday’s shooting at Wendy’s restaurant, just a couple of miles from our campus,” Huang wrote. “It was an unsettling incident for our campus community, local residents, and the business establishments that serve those of us who live, go to school, and work here. Effects of the shooting will stay with us for some time. Together, we grieve the loss of Alexander Cavanah, who died as a result of the shooting. A young man, married to an Edinboro student, Alexander was just 22, with his entire life ahead of him. Our hearts go out to his family, whose lives will never be the same. At this very sad time, let us find comfort in the strength of our community and offer any support we can to each other and those we encounter as we travel around the borough and stop in local businesses. … Please be mindful of Alexander’s family in the days, weeks and months ahead, and keep them in your prayers.”

The Wendy’s reopened on Wednesday, Jan. 29, and donated 100% of the sales made on that day to the Cavanah family.