Drug case involving former student moves to trial

A former student was arrested the night of Aug. 31 with “thousands of dollars” worth of “pure crystal” methamphetamine. The arrest occurred the same day the former student received a letter from Allegheny’s dean of students asking her to leave college property, according to criminal complaints filed by Meadville Police Department.

The former student, Sophie Foreman, who was arrested that night at Meadville Medical Center’s Grove Street building, will head to trial following a preliminary court hearing for the drug case Monday, Sept. 23, in front of Magisterial District Judge Samuel Pendolino. Foreman is heading to trial on four felony counts of possession with intent to deliver a controlled substance, among other drug-related charges.

At the hearing, Patrolman Eli Provost testified Meadville city police responded to a call at Meadville Medical Center Aug. 31 regarding a female allegedly roaming the halls and trying to enter multiple rooms. Hospital staff walked Foreman out of the Grove Street building when police arrived, according to Provost’s testimony at the preliminary hearing.

Foreman was exhibiting “uncontrollable” body movements notably on her face, a typical response from someone who is under the influence of methamphetamine, according to Provost’s testimony. He also noticed that her eyes were extremely dilated, and Foreman told Provost she was under the influence of LSD. During questioning, Foreman told police she had been awake for six days, according to Provost’s testimony.

Police asked if Foreman had any substances on her person, and during the encounter, Foreman reached into her bag and pulled out what Provost described to be a colorful case. During his testimony, Provost said the case contained methamphetamine, MDMA (the pure form of the drug ecstasy), strips of LSD and alprazolam (specifically the brand Xanax).

Police brought Foreman to Meadville Medical Center to assess her health before taking her to Meadville Police Department. At the station, Foreman allegedly told police she had given drugs to Allegheny students in the past, according to Provost’s testimony.

Foreman had another preliminary court hearing on Thursday, Sept. 26, in front of Pendolino for a separate trespassing case. She was arrested with another former student, Jessica Garcia, ’20 — who also received a letter from the dean of students asking her to leave college property — for allegedly trespassing Arter Hall Sept. 12.

As of Thursday, Sept. 26, both Foreman and Garcia will head to trial following the preliminary hearing for the trespassing case.

Garcia posted Foreman’s $5,000 bond in the Aug. 31 drug case, according to court documents, yet Foreman remains in Crawford County jail in lieu of $15,000 bond in the trespassing case.