Remembering Fallen Heroes

Students gather in Brooks Circle to honor 9/11 victims

Students light one another’s candles at the 9/11 Vigil in Brooks Circle on Tuesday, Sept. 11, 2018.

Emily Rice

Emily Rice

Emily Rice, Photographer

Nearly two decades ago, four planes were hijacked and crashed into the World Trade Center in New York City, the Pentagon and a field in Somerset County, Pennsylvania, almost three hours southeast of Meadville. One of the four hijacked planes, Flight 93, was speculated to be heading to the White House, the United States Capitol, Camp David or a nuclear power plant on the east coast. Before the flight could reach its destination, passengers overpowered the terrorists and crashed the plane in Somerset County. In total, close to 3,000 people lost their lives, making 9/11 the deadliest terrorist attack on United States soil.

Emily Rice

To honor the anniversary of the attack, those who lost their lives and those who first responded 17 years ago, Allegheny College held a vigil at 9 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 11 in Brooks Circle. When students arrived at the vigil, they were given candles and asked to stand. Students formed a circle with Chaplain Jane Ellen Nickell, who lit the candles near her then passed the flame to others. Once the candles were lit, Nickell delivered remarks before giving people a chance to remember victims by name. Students then stood in a moment of silent solidarity, which ended with Nickell delivering final words and inviting people to stay as long as they wanted.

Emily Rice
Chaplain Jane Ellen Nickell stands with students at the vigil in Brooks Circle.

About the Contributor
Emily Rice, Photographer
Emily Rice is a sophomore who is majoring in psychology and minoring in education studies. This is her first year on the newspaper staff as a photographer. In her free time, she can be found watching a new show on Netflix or hanging out with friends around campus.