Opinion: The Political Herd: Republican

Israel. Palestine. Gaza.

For years, the United States has attempted to resolve the continual conflict between these three factions. To date, each and every attempt has failed. Each close attempt has been offset by an unfortunate event.

There is an undoubtedly overwhelming consensus that the Israeli–Palestinian conflict is a complicated matter. A solution is by no means a part of my article; rather, I hope to facilitate advice that will help avoid the escalation of conflict.

A most basic and simple highlight of the conflict reveals the following observation: the Israeli–Palestinian conflict is deeply rooted in religion. The primary injection of political affiliation began post–World War II, with attributed responsibility to the British.

The current situation has undoubtedly harbored both political and economic alliances.  Especially within the past two administrations, strong efforts have been made to solidify a peace process between the Israelis and Palestinians.

Attempts at a peace process were immensely accelerated in the post–September 11 world.

The West as a whole initiated these treaties; they were not propagated by the United States alone. It is in the best interest of the collective world to solidify these relations to ensure regional stability throughout the Middle East.

Establishing this stability still remains problematic. Several other factions in the peace process affect the Israeli–Palestinian peace process. The primary aggressor of Israel is Iran, whose leader Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, defied Israel’s right to exist and the occurrence of the Holocaust.

Iran’s continual development of long–range ballistic missiles and nuclear weapons increasingly poses a more serious threat to Israel’s mere existence. Military exercises have already occurred to demonstrate militaristic capabilities that can obliterate Israel.

Bring this situation into perspective. Israel’s existence is threatened.

If this situation ever confronted the United States, both the citizens and government would take immediate decisive action to eliminate the imminent threat.

Undoubtedly nobody can condemn Israel’s bold actions on these terms. According to multiple sources, Iran’s provoking actions have severely disrupted the Israeli–Palestinian peace treaty process.

On the contrary, the Obama administration has established a more harsh tone against Israel’s actions. The Washington Post reports that although the Obama administration has continued to disagree with Israel, the majority of the American people still support Israel’s initiative.

In his most recent visit this past week to the Middle East, Vice President Joe Biden continued to refute Israel’s housing construction program: “I condemn the decision by the government of Israel to advance planning for new housing units [1,600 homes] in east Jerusalem,” according to the Washington Post.

Critics argue that Biden took one step too far.

While his statement was harsh against the Israelis, it had appropriate value in the diplomatic context. For once, Biden overwhelmingly succeeded in diplomatic relations.

Israel has continually exploited its relations with the U.S. It has been using the U.S. as a proxy in the international field in order to support its controversial actions.

Biden’s declaration also comes upon the impending American Israel Public Affairs Committee (AIPAC) meeting in Washington, according to the Asia Times. Despite Israel’s adamant support for the Democratic National Committee, Biden declared the appropriate diplomatic stance.

Despite conflicts, Israel remains the United States’ strategic key to Middle East stability.  However, Israel (as a U.S. ally) must cease its exploitation of U.S. financial and governmental resources.

The situation is complicated that will involve careful diplomacy on the behalf of the U.S.  Regardless, the U.S. must assert its clear positions against abusive Israeli interests.

An alliance requires key contributions on both sides of the table.

It is time to correct this relation and attribute equal contribution.

Clay Moran is a member of the class of 2013. He can be reached at [email protected].