Lauren Trimber, co-Editor-in-Chief

Lauren Trimber is a senior majoring in English and creative writing and minoring in political science. This is her third year on staff, and she will be serving as co Editor-in-Chief. She’s looking forward to working with her fantastic co-editors and making the features section awesome. In her free time, she can be found sitting in the newsroom waiting for inspiration to strike.

All content by Lauren Trimber

Twitty joins food with culture

Lauren Trimber, Co-Editor-In-Chief February 21, 2020

When writer and culinary expert Michael Twitty was a child, an image struck him. As someone who grew up oriented around the kitchen with his mother and grandmother, he found himself captivated by an image...

Allegheny College sued for Title IX violation, negligence

Matthew Steinberg and Lauren Trimber February 13, 2020

Allegheny College is being sued for violation of Title IX, negligence, interference with contractual relations and emotional distress. The woman who filed the lawsuit alleges that a member of the college’s...

Professor Emeritus of Biology and Environmental Science Scott Wissinger stands in a field during research in summer 2019 in Colorado.

Allegheny College community mourns the loss of Professor Emeritus Scott Wissinger

Lauren Trimber, Matthew Steinberg, and Sara Holthouse October 10, 2019

As students spend their four years at Allegheny College, some of the largest impacts on them over that time are made by professors. For many, one of those professors was Scott Wissinger, professor emeritus...

Students talk to local representatives at the local candidate forum on Wednesday, Oct. 2, 2019, in the Henderson Campus Center.

Local Candidates’ Forum connects students with community

Lauren Trimber and Matthew Steinberg October 3, 2019

The Center for Political Participation hosted a local candidates’ forum Wednesday, Oct. 2, 2019, in the Henderson Campus Center lobby. Local candidates visited Allegheny’s campus to talk to students...

Class of 2023 senators sworn into office

Lauren Trimber, Editor-in-Chief September 19, 2019

Officially joining Allegheny Student Government during its meeting on Tuesday, Sept. 17, the five new class of 2023 senators discussed their plans for the upcoming year and how they hope to work together...

Five first-year senators are sworn into office during the Allegheny Student Government meeting on Sept. 17, 2019, in the Henderson Campus Center.

[Photo] ASG discusses climate strikes, cost of textbooks

Sara Holthouse, News Editor September 19, 2019

Editorial: Name removal from published article

Lauren Trimber and Matthew Steinberg September 13, 2019

On April 14, The Campus published an article regarding an assault that occurred on April 7 at Julian’s Bar and Grill. An Allegheny student (now former Allegheny student) was arrested for his alleged...

Losers Club returns for the thrilling ‘It Chapter Two’

Lauren Trimber, Editor-in-Chief September 13, 2019

Like most adults trying to reclaim the wonder of their childhood, a group of friends nicknamed the Losers Club reunite in their hometown in Andy Muschietti’s new film “It Chapter Two.” Unlike most...

Attendants of the Allegheny Title IX Conference, coordinated by Why Not Us, on April 7, 2019, sit in the Tippie Alumni Center during the event.

Club Feature: Why Not Us

Lauren Trimber, Editor-in-Chief September 6, 2019

When Anna Meyer, ’20, and Mark Myers, ’19, realized they found something fundamentally wrong with the culture surrounding them, they chose to push back, to fight for change — and they did it in the...

Ready or not, the in-laws come

Lauren Trimber, Editor-in-Chief August 30, 2019

The best part of a wedding night? Surviving bloody-thirsty, cultish in-laws, obviously. At least, that’s the highlight of Grace Le Domas’ wedding night in directors Matt Bettinelli-Olpin and Tyler...

At home with the queen

Lauren Trimber, Features Editor April 26, 2019

“If you surrender to the air, you can ride it.” Novelist Toni Morrison’s quotation, written in bright white lettering against a dark background, appears on screen for one quiet moment, before the...

‘Pet Sematary’: King’s horror fails on screen

Lauren Trimber, Features Editor April 11, 2019

Amidst the resurgence of horror author Stephen King’s popularity after the success of “It,” “Pet Sematary,” the latest in King’s book-to-film adaptations, seemed destined to be the newest addition...

The right notes

Lauren Trimber, Features Editor April 4, 2019

As the lights dimmed over the anticipatory expressions of high school parents in Allegheny College’s Shafer Auditorium, music began to play behind the thick curtain while players tuned instruments —...

Maplewood Junior/Senior High School Jazz Band, directed by Jamie Gardner, joined Allegheny’s High School Jazz Band Festival.

[Photo] Allegheny Gender and Sexuality Alliance hosts annual drag show

Ellis Giacomelli, Features Editor April 4, 2019

The Alexander String Quartet, comprised of first violinist Zakarias Grafilo, second violinist Frederick Lifsitz, violist Paul Yarbrough and cellist Sandy Wilson, is accompanied by Allegheny’s Jennifer Dearden on trumpet, Douglas Jurs on piano and guest artist Tracy Rowell on double bass Friday, March 1, 2019, in Ford Memorial Chapel.

A balancing act: Alexander String Quartet comes home to Allegheny

Lauren Trimber, Features Editor March 7, 2019

Four players, one sound. This idea — a notion of four different instruments and four different musicians coming together as one voice —was present in the Alexander String Quartet’s week of public...

How to leave your dragon: A heartbreaking series finale

Lauren Trimber, Features Editor March 1, 2019

How do friendships define us? “How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World,” Dean DeBlois’ third and final film in the series, searches for the answers to that question in a heartbreaking and nostalgic...

LeSane discusses admissions work, favorite part of the job

Lauren Trimber, Features Editor February 28, 2019

Sitting at a table with a photograph of Allegheny College students smiling for the college’s bicentennial celebrations contained beneath the table’s protective glass, Vice President for Enrollment...

The Mullen family poses for a Christmas photograph in 2017.

A gator love story

Lauren Trimber, Features Editor February 14, 2019

When Allegheny College President James Mullen and Mari Mullen enrolled in the same college just a few years apart from each other, neither ever expected to get married, Mari said. Their minds changed while...

Remembering David

Remembering David

Ellis Giacomelli and Lauren Trimber January 31, 2019

It was the season of Lent some 20 years ago, and children in Freeport, Pennsylvania, vowed to surrender video games and chocolate. “Well Dave gave up the alphabet for Lent,” Nancy Shipe said. “And...

Annual Spiritual and Religious Life Week to celebrate ‘Connections’

Ellis Giacomelli and Lauren Trimber January 25, 2019

The smells of hot coffee from Tarot Bean Roasting Company, which calls Chestnut Street home, are set to welcome campus and community members to the Midwinter Festival Saturday, Jan. 26, in the lobby of...

Allegheny College’s dance and movement studies bring community members to campus

Lauren Trimber, Features Editor January 25, 2019

Tucked into a cozy office with two of her assistants, safe from the freezing temperatures of Meadville’s winter, Allegheny’s Dance and Movement Studies Instructor Betsy Sumerfield discussed the community...

‘On the Basis of Sex’: A fun, engaging story with a powerful message

Who was it all for, if not for me? The powerful question is asked by Jane Ginsburg, played by Cailee Spaeny, in Mimi Leder’s Ruth Bader Ginsburg biopic “On the Basis of Sex.” The film follows Ruth,...

From childhood to Toronto: Freeman works toward career in art

Lauren Trimber, Features Editor November 8, 2018

“I strongly suggest you cover more skin.” The phrase is repeated throughout Josie Freeman’s, ’20, artwork and is part of an overarching narrative that uses an Instagram page to weave together...

Bruce Smith taught at Allegheny College for more than 30 years. Students, faculty, administrators and alumni gathered in Ford Memorial Chapel on Saturday, Oct. 20, 2018 to honor the late political science professor.

Man of labor and ideals: Honoring Smith’s legacy

Lauren Trimber, Features Editor October 25, 2018

Professor Emeritus of Political Science Bruce Smith’s favorite jazz music played softly over the chatter of attendees as they paid their respects to a chest containing a hand-made doll of Smith, positioned...

Fun but flawed: ‘Venom’ fails to make impact on Marvel Universe

Lauren Trimber, Features Editor October 19, 2018

It was bound to happen. After 19 films, critical praise and incredible success of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, Marvel had to make a mistake sooner or later. Despite the excitement surrounding the film,...

Slow down and breathe: Workshop teaches art of meditation

Lauren Trimber, Features Editor September 27, 2018

The second floor of Montgomery Hall was transformed from a dance space to a place of meditation for the Mindfulness Workshop on Saturday, Sept. 22. Students and faculty members drifted into the room,...

Into the abbey and the abyss with latest franchise film ‘The Nun’

Lauren Trimber, Matthew Steinberg, and Ellis Giacomelli September 13, 2018

After the apparent suicide of a Romanian nun at Carta Monastery in 1952, “The Nun” follows Father Burke and Sister Irene, who are instructed by the Vatican to investigate at the deceased nun’s abbey....

Mind full of fluff: ‘Christopher Robin’ fails to deliver intelligent story in favor of nostalgic cast of characters

Lauren Trimber, Features Editor September 6, 2018

Oh, bother. Winnie the Pooh’s classic catchphrase played repeatedly in my head as I watched “Christopher Robin,” a film I had been anticipating for weeks. Based on A.A. Milne’s characters, “Christopher...

Ford finishes as interim dean, new dean discusses mindfulness

Lauren Trimber, Features Editor August 30, 2018

With the 2018-19 school year officially beginning, students are adjusting to changes implemented over the summer. One of the shifts in administration occurred when Interim Dean of Students Jacquie Kondrot...

Zingale Big Idea Competition welcomes more teams than previous years

Lauren Trimber, Senior News Editor May 1, 2018

At Allegheny College, the Zingale Big Idea competition is an open competition that emulates “Shark Tank” and gives students a chance to invent and defend different entrepreneurial ideas. This year,...

The members of Allegheny Student Government pose during the end of their meeting on Tuesday, April 24, 2018.

[Photo] Dormitory rooms to receive new appliances

Lauren Trimber, News Editor April 26, 2018

ASG discusses possible changes to its constitution

Lauren Trimber, Senior News Editor April 19, 2018

Allegheny Student Government debated the usefulness of its Judicial Review Board during its meeting on Tuesday, April 17. Along with discussing possible ASG constitution revisions, the organization listened...

Departments readjust after mass retirement

With 23 professors retiring at the end of the 2017-18 year, Allegheny College has already undergone changes in its curriculum. Although Professor of History Barry Shapiro is one of the retiring professors,...

Gomez, Greene winners of ASG election

Lauren Trimber, Senior News Editor April 5, 2018

After a three week campaign, the Allegheny Student Government primary ended with presidential candidate Camila Gomez, ’19, and vice presidential candidate Gillian Greene, ’20, winning the election....

Allegheny Student Government reviewed three organization’s constitutions and received updates from the College Committees Council during its meeting on Tuesday, April 4, 2018.

[Photo]

Residence Life changes room draw back to original system

Lauren Trimber, Senior News Editor March 8, 2018

With the Office of Residence Life officially changing room selection back to its original format, Associate Director of Housing Operations Maureen Muckinhaupt and Interim Dean of Students Jacquie Kondrot...

Two week election for ASG closes

After participating in Allegheny’s first primary election in five years, a debate held before the student body and a two-week long campaign, the Allegheny Student Government presidential and vice presidential...

Allegheny Student Government receives update from administration, learns possible changes to school policy

Lauren Trimber, Senior News Editor March 1, 2018

Allegheny Student Government held its weekly meeting in Grounds for Change to provide a new venue more visible to constituents on Tuesday, Feb. 27. Allegheny College President James Mullen visited the...

Allegheny Student Government swears in new cabinet member

Lauren Trimber, Senior News Editor February 22, 2018

Trevor Mahan, ’21, was officially sworn in as the Director of Diversity and Inclusion during the Allegheny Student Government meeting on Tuesday, Feb. 13. Mahan became interested in the position because...

Allegheny Student Government discusses changes to computer science major, new room assignment plan

Residence Life is returning to its old method of assigning rooms to students after briefly planning to change it, according to Allegheny Student Government President Mark MacStudy, ’18. MacStudy revealed...

Maddie Janvrin, ’20, shakes hands with a Kenyon swimmer following a race at Denison University on Saturday, Feb. 18, 2018 during the North Coast Athletic Conference Championships.

Swim and dive reflects on season

Marley Parish and Lauren Trimber February 22, 2018

The Allegheny College Swimming and Diving Team completed the 2018 North Coast Athletic Conference Championships on Saturday, Feb. 17 at Denison University. The men’s team finished seventh with...

Ford visits Allegheny Student Government meeting to review college’s Title IX policy

Lauren Trimber, News Editor February 15, 2018

Title IX Coordinator Gillian Ford visited Allegheny Student Government during its meeting on Tuesday, Feb. 13 to give a presentation titled “What you need to know about Title IX.” Ford discussed students’...

ASG presidential candidates preparing for approaching election, discuss platforms

With Allegheny Student Government elections fast approaching, the official candidates discussed their platforms, expectations for the elections and decisions that led them to run. For the first time in...

ASG approves new senator, fills proxy spot

Lauren Trimber, Senior News Editor February 15, 2018

Allegheny Student Government President Mark MacStudy, ’18, swore Monessha Jayabalan, ’19, into the Class of 2019 Senate during the ASG meeting Tuesday, Feb. 13. Before swearing Jayabalan in, Class...

Valerie Calvo, ‘21, holds up a heart as she tables for the Why Not Us event in the Henderson Campus Center lobby Feb. 15, 2018.

[Photo] Love Letter event offers support to survivors of sexual assault, Title IX

Dakotah Manson, News Editor February 15, 2018

Professor receives Fulbright Award

Shannan Mattiace, professor and department chair of political science, received a Fulbright Award. She plans to use the award to teach in Chile for five months starting in February 2019. Mattiace...

Allegheny Student Government approves constitution

Lauren Trimber, Senior News Editor February 8, 2018

Allegheny Student Government discussed upcoming plans and approved a new senator during its meeting on Tuesday, Feb. 6. The meeting began with Men of Color Advancement Association member Francisco Guzman,...

Allegheny Student Government discusses upcoming job fairs, venues for town hall meeting

Lauren Trimber, Senior News Editor February 1, 2018

Assistant Director of Career Education Christina Moreschi discussed upcoming job fairs with Allegheny Student Government on Tuesday, Jan. 30. The three upcoming job fairs will take place on Feb. 5, March...

Allegheny to introduce new first-year program

Lauren Trimber, News Editor January 25, 2018

Allegheny College is implementing a new program that will affect incoming first-year students, changing their Allegheny experience beginning in the summer months. Associate Dean Gretchen Beck gave a presentation...

ASG approves recording policy for college

Allegheny Student Government discussed an upcoming change to the college that will affect the school’s policy toward recording in private during its meeting on Tuesday, Jan. 23. Campus Life and Community...

Allegheny administration discusses building changes

Lauren Trimber, Senior News Editor November 16, 2017

Allegheny College’s campus may soon include a convenience store and a new exercise area, according to Executive Vice President Eileen Petula. Petula said the renovations that have already taken place...

Allegheny Student Government receives student conduct report, discusses programs possible for spring semester

Assistant Dean of Students Joe Hall visited Allegheny Student Government to present an annual conduct report during its meeting on Tuesday, Nov. 15. His report included statistics on honor code and student...

Mullen and Petula look to the future at weekly ASG meeting

Lauren Trimber, News Editor November 9, 2017

Allegheny Student Government discussed the Allegheny Strategic Action Plan during their meeting on Tuesday, Nov. 7. Allegheny College President James Mullen and Executive Vice President Eileen Petula visited...

Ashley Leonard, ‘20, was sworn into the Class of 2020 senate during the ASG meeting on Tuesday, Oct. 31, 2017.

ASG discusses future policies, Title IX options

Lauren Trimber, News Editor November 2, 2017

Allegheny students may soon be able to declare a future, along with majors and minors. During its meeting on Tuesday, Oct. 31, Allegheny Student Government discussed the possibility of the college developing...

ASG swears in new Class of 2020 senator and brings ‘new perspective’

With Elyse Cinquino, ’20, being appointed ASG director of communications and press on Tuesday, Oct. 17, a spot in the Class of 2020 senate opened. Ashley Leonard, ’20, said she was thrilled to be considered...

ASG receives statistics report, welcomes new cabinet member

Lauren Trimber, Senior News Editor October 19, 2017

Vice President for Enrollment and Dean of Admissions Cornell LeSane discussed Allegheny’s admission statistics with Allegheny Student Government during its meeting on Tuesday, Oct. 17. With the inclusion...

Senators David Roach, ‘21, Carlos Sanchez, ‘20, Jason Ferrante, ‘20, Trevor Mahan, ‘21, Elyse Cinquino, ‘20, and Akeem Adesiji, ‘20, were all present at the Meet Your Senator event on Wednesday, Oct. 11, 2017. 

[Photo] Allegheny Student Government holds Meet Your Senator Event

Steven Heine, Junior News Editor October 19, 2017

Senators David Roach, ‘21, Carlos Sanchez, ‘20, Jason Ferrante, ‘20, Trevor Mahan, ‘21, Elyse Cinquino, ‘20, and Akeem Adesiji, ‘20, were all present at the Meet Your Senator event on Wednesday,...

Class of 2021 senators discuss future plans, goals for academic school year

Lauren Trimber, Senior News Editor September 28, 2017

Sworn in during the Allegheny Student Government meeting on Tuesday, Sept. 19, the five Class of 2021 senators explained their excitement and goals for the coming year after their second ASG meeting. Class...

ASG approves new club, plans Title IX resolution

The constitution for the new Why Not Us organization was passed during the Allegheny Student Government meeting on Tuesday, Sept. 26. The organization’s four main pillars are educate, engage, empower...

ASG receives updates

Lauren Trimber, Senior News Editor September 21, 2017

During Allegheny Student Government’s weekly meeting on Tuesday, Sept. 19, nurse practioner Sandra Livingston explained the recent changes to the Winslow. After three staff members retired over the...

Allegheny alumni speak about internship and job opportunities

Four alumni joined students in the George M. Henderson Campus Center to talk about the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center in one of five events held by the health care provider at noon on Monday,...

Allegheny student government kick-starts year’s work

Lauren Trimber, Senior News Editor September 14, 2017

Director of Public Safety Ali Awadi spoke to Allegheny Student Goverment during its meeting on Tuesday, Sept. 12. Awadi explained that over the summer Allegheny conducted an active shooter drill with...

ASG Cabinet and Senate make plans for upcoming year

Lauren Trimber, News Editor September 7, 2017

Allegheny Student Government gathered for their second meeting of the academic year on Tuesday, Sept. 5. Although members of the cabinet had to shift positions to account for the departure of former vice...

Kleeman Fund provides a chance for students to express themselves through art

Lauren Trimber, Senior News Editor September 7, 2017

Artists entered The Bowman-Penelec-Megahan Art Galleries on Saturday, Sept. 2 to create art with and around one another for the 8 Hour Projects: Beyond These Walls event. Although the event has been held...

Allegheny Student Government hosts first meeting of academic year

Lauren Trimber, Senior News Editor August 31, 2017

Allegheny Student Government met for the first time this year on Tuesday, Aug. 29 on the third floor of the campus center. After swearing in the senate, senators were given the option to either approve...

Residence life welcomes new staff members

Lauren Trimber, News Editor August 24, 2017

The Office of Residence Life has hired two new staff members: Maureen Muckinhaupt, Associate Director of Residence Life for Housing and Operations, and Robert Ippolito, Assistant Director of Residence...

Residence life cracks down on alcohol violations

Lauren Trimber, Staff Writer April 20, 2017

With the end of the spring semester fast approaching, Allegheny students prepare for the school work that lies ahead and search for any outlet available to help them during the next few weeks. In the midst...

Jasmin Wagner, German Teaching Assistant

Jasmin Wagner reflects on her year at Allegheny

Lauren Trimber, Contributing Writer April 6, 2017

Studying English and German at the University of Cologne in Germany, Jasmin Wagner was the only candidate chosen to travel to Allegheny College to work as a German teaching assistant this year. Although...

Assistant Professor of Art and Artist in Residence Steve Prince introduces the speakers at a student art presentation in the Doane Hall of Art on Wednesday, Feb. 22, 2017. Five Edinboro graduate students presented their work and spoke to Allegheny students and faculty about their experience in the field of art.

Graduate art students say stereotypes discourage potential artists

Lauren Trimber, Contributing Writer February 23, 2017

Five Edinboro graduate students — Jim Dunn, Henry Gepfer, Ashley Bevington, Royce Hilderbrand and Didem Mert — traveled to Allegheny to speak with students and faculty about their experience in the...

The executive order issued by President Trump suspends visas from seven countries, those being Iraq, Iran, Syria, Yemen, Sudan, Somalia and Libya.

Campus shows solidarity in the face of division

Lauren Trimber, Contributing Writer February 16, 2017

President Trump issued an executive order on Jan. 27 that suspended visas from seven countries — Iraq, Iran, Syria, Yemen, Sudan, Somalia and Libya — with Muslim-majority populations for 90 days, suspended...

Young talent shines onstage

Lauren Trimber, Contributing Writer October 27, 2016

With vibrant colors, clever humor and beautiful songs, The Academy Theatre in Meadville wrapped up its three-week run of “The Wizard of Oz” this past weekend on Sunday, Oct. 23. “The Wizard of Oz”...

Load More Stories
$50
$500

Activate Search
Lauren Trimber