Allegheny Student Government discusses upcoming job fairs, venues for town hall meeting

Assistant Director of Career Education Christina Moreschi discussed upcoming job fairs with Allegheny Student Government on Tuesday, Jan. 30. The three upcoming job fairs will take place on Feb. 5, March 1 and March 14, respectively.

The first job fair, which will be located in the Henderson Campus Center from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m., is titled the Summer Job Fair and will include information about a range of paid positions, according to Moreschi.

“It’s mostly going to be beneficial to underclassmen, [but] seniors, if you’re planning to go to [graduate] school, this would be a great way for you to get some experience before you start your semester at [graduate] school,” Moreschi said.

The Summer Job Fair is ideal for anyone interested in working in Pennsylvania and New York, according to Moreschi. Of the 26 organizations that will be present, 17 are summer camps, according to the Career Education website.

“If you’re thinking summer camps don’t do that much as a resume builder, you’re wrong,” Moreschi said. “There are a lot of statistics put out by the American Camp Association. They talked about all the different transferable skills that you can gain by being a camp counselor. It’s also especially cool if you have music talent, or theater talent, or are good at playing a sport so you can go teach kids or adults.”

Moreschi said Career Education set a goal to have 100 students attend the fair, since the number of students in attendance has doubled over the past two years. Moreschi came to the ASG meeting to promote awareness and bring more attention to the fair.

The second job fair, also located in the campus center from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. on March 1, is the Work Local Job Fair. The fair will include employers from Crawford and Erie Counties, according to Moreschi.

“This is great for anyone, even seniors,” Moreschi said. “If you’re looking for a full-time job, if you’re looking for a long-term service opportunity, if you’re looking for shadowing experiences in healthcare with local physicians, if you just want to learn more about what Meadville and Crawford County has to offer, this is the place to be.”

For the Work Local Job Fair, students with educational, psychology, musical, theatre and sports backgrounds are encouraged to attend, according to Moreschi. She said almost all of the employers will be working with adults with disabilities, children and teenagers.

Both the Summer Job Fair and Work Local Job Fair will have about 25 employers.

The final job fair is the WestPACS Job and Internship Fair, in which Western Pennsylvania colleges join to have the largest career fair in the Pittsburgh region, according to Moreschi. It will take place March 14 in Monroeville, Pennsylvania. Transportation will be provided for $10, but if students choose to drive themselves, parking will be free. There will be between 120 and 170 employers, and a range of job fields will be represented, according to Moreschi.

“This is a great way for [seniors] to get jobs all across the country, not just in Pittsburgh,” Moreschi said. “It’s also a great place for juniors to find internships.”

For anyone who cannot attend the job fairs but is still interested, the employer contact information is on the Allegheny Career Education website, beneath the Career Fairs tab. Interested students can also visit the Career Education office in Pelletier Library.

Once Moreschi finished speaking, Chief of Staff Camila Gomez, ’19, met with the College Committees Council for the first time in her tenure to receive updates.

“There’s a new retirement incentive for professors to retire that they’re trying to push through,” Gomez said. “But there’s a little bit of tension in the faculty about whether or not the faculty is into it.”

Another update Gomez received concerned the Computer Science major.

“The Computer Science Department is removing all math course requirements,” Gomez said. “I don’t have full details, but this is a very significant cut-down to the point where the Math Department is very upset about it.”

Once Gomez finished her report, Co-Director of Student Affairs Travis Court, ’18,  talked about his meeting with Campus Life and Community Standards, during which he met with Director of Physical Plant Clifford Willis and Director of Disability Services John Mangine.

“They are really trying to spread the word about campus accessibility maps,” Court said.

There are maps in Pelletier library, the Office of Public Safety and the campus center, according to Court.

“Anytime there’s some sort of renovation for the building, they always factor in the accessibility,” Court said.

Since accessibility is always a factor concerning renovations, projects focused only on accessibility are not given enough funding, Court said.

“They’re looking for projects, but there’s not a lot of money,” Court said. “One interesting [idea] that I did not get a timeline on is renovating Bentley Hall, including elevator and wheelchair-accessible [areas] on all four floors.”

As Court finished his report, ASG President Mark MacStudy, ’18, closed the meeting by proposing the idea of holding an ASG town hall event. Class of 2020 President Jason Ferrante thought of the idea to hold an open meeting, which may be held in either the Quigley auditorium or the Vukovich Center, according to MacStudy. The event would allow students to voice any questions, concerns or comments to ASG senators and cabinet members.

Senator Zach Iezzi, ’18, voiced his concern that holding a town hall meeting would be no different than a regular ASG meeting, which is open to the public.

“I think it’s a good idea, but how are you doing to say it’s different than our open meetings, where people can … voice their opinions and ask their questions anyway?” Iezzi said.

Ferrante pointed out that constituents rarely attend the meetings and that having a more informal discussion in a relaxed environment may foster better conversation.

“I don’t think we can fear criticism and I think a lot of times there is a basis in that criticism,” Ferrante said. “It also gives people a connection with their student government.”