ASG passes resolution in support of Title IX reform

Allegheny Student Government passed resolution 17-01, a measure in support of Title IX reforms and education, at its meeting on Tuesday, Feb. 21, 2017.

The resolution was brought to the floor by Class of 2020 Vice President Jason Ferrante, and was sponsored by Sens. Mark MacStudy, ’18, and Gillian Greene, ’20.

The resolution notes that it is the duty of the Dean of Students Office, the Office of Public Safety and the Title IX Office to improve and reform Title IX policies.

“Be it resolved by Allegheny Student Government here assembled that we call upon and will continually work with the Dean of Students Office, Office of Public Safety, and Title IX Office, among other administrators, to continually advocate for reform in the Title IX process, and work to ensure that Allegheny College is a campus where students can feel safe from threats of sexual assault and violence, in accordance with our Statement of Community,” the resolution read in part.

Ferrante said issues of sexual assault violate Allegheny’s Statement of Community. The community is meant to provide for a safe residential learning environment for students, according to the resolution.

“When one member of the community loses that right, we all lose,” Ferrante said.

A large part of why the resolution was brought to the table, according to Ferrante, was because he and his fellow sponsors felt it was important to affirm ASG’s commitment to the issue.

“We will not stand for one more assault on this campus, because one is too many,” Ferrante said.

Be it resolved by Allegheny Student Government here assembled that we call upon and will continually work with [the college] to continually advocate for reform in the Title IX process, and work to ensure that Allegheny College is a campus where students can feel safe from threats of sexual assault and violence.

— ASG Resolution 17-01

When the resolution was brought to the floor for discussion, members of cabinet and senate both largely expressed their support. However, suggestions were made on how to approve the resolution.

Sen. Walter Stover, ’17, pointed out that the resolution did not specifically mention working with administrators. He said this was “risky” because it could “drive a wedge” between ASG and the college administration.

“I can only see that causing more harm than good,” Stover said.

An amendment was added to the resolution to include language about collaborating with the college administration and also to include a commitment to education.

Director of Communications and Press Mark Myers, ’19, said working with administrators was an important aspect of addressing “rape culture” on Allegheny’s campus.

“The administration wants to work with students,” Myers said.

Director of Public Safety Ali Awadi said he feels the college is “taking the bull by the horns” when it comes to handling sexual assault on campus.

“We follow [United States] Department of Education guidelines on that,” Awadi said.

Attorney General Eric Chang, ’17, announced the two tickets running for ASG president and vice president for the 2017-18 academic year. The first ticket will consist of Myers and Rowan Castellanos, ’19.  The second will consist of MacStudy and Matt Hartwell, ’18.

Chang said there will be a presidential debate held at 7 p.m. in the lobby of the campus center on Monday, Feb. 27.

In a previous version of this article The Campus incorrectly listed Director of Press and Communications Mark Myers’s class year. The article also referred to the  resolution as resolution 10-01. Allegheny Student Government has since changed the name of the measure to resolution 17-01. Updated Tuesday, Feb. 28, 2017 at 9:02 p.m.