Ask Chompers – 1/31/14

Dear Chompers,

I am having roommate problems. Ever since we got back from break, my roommate has been in a bad mood. She gets mad when I listen to music, if I go out with my friends and if our room is not perfectly clean all of the time. She does all of her work in the room and I never have any time alone. She sleeps all day and does work all through the night. I tried talking to her, but she just keeps ignoring me and spreading rumors about me. How should I handle the situation?

The first thing you should do is to try talking to your roommate. Even if you can’t reconcile your differences, you still may be able to set some rules and boundaries so that you can coexist for the remainder of the semester. You need to remind your roommate that the room does not belong only to her, and set ground rules that work for both of you. If she is unwilling to sit down and talk, you should talk to your RA about working out a resolution. If you feel that the situation has become too unbearable and has begun to hurt you academically, you should stop into Residence Life and see if a change can be made.

Dear Chompers,

My boyfriend is constantly flirting with other girls in front of me. He thinks that I don’t notice, but I do. We’ve been together for a few months, but I am starting to wonder if he really wants a relationship while he is in college. I feel like he would rather spend his Saturday night at a party than staying in with me. What should I do?

The best thing you can do in a situation like this is to ask him if the relationship is something that he wants. If he insists that he does, you need to address your concerns about his flirtatious habits and tell him how it makes you feel when he acts this way. As for his partying, maybe you should try hanging out with his friends and having a good time with him. If you really do not want to go with him, maybe you can ask him to stay in with you every other Saturday. Just remember that everyone needs their space, even when they are in a relationship.