Claire’s Kitchen: Keenen cookies

By CLAIRE TEAGUE

Features Editor

These cookies are the recipe of a family friend and are unique in both their size and their ingredients. Baked without flour, these cookies spread on the baking sheet and end up being roughly the size of your hand after cooking. They’re not terribly unhealthy because of the omission of white refined flour and because of the peanut butter and oatmeal, they’re surprisingly filling. I imagine that almond butter would prove to be equally delicious in place of the peanut butter; however, I’ve never tried it myself.

They’re awfully big and delicious so share with friends. They’re also ideal to bake for a fundraiser considering the ingredients are extremely cheap.

To start, blend the butter and sugars together and beat until the mix is fluffy, about three minutes. Add the eggs in one at a time and beat thoroughly. Add in the vanilla and then measure out the peanut butter.

Although it’s annoying to mix in, do not melt the peanut butter. It acts as a sort of glue and holds the rest of the dough together so the sticky fingers will inevitably be worth it.

Finish by adding in the chocolate chips and the six cups of oats.

Using a ¼ cup to measure, scoop out six cookies, making two columns, and place on a sprayed or parchment paper lined baking sheet.

Using the palm of your hand, firmly flatten down the cookies otherwise they won’t cook through before the bottom burns.

They bake for around 8-10 minutes at 350 degrees and when you take them out, let them sit on the baking sheet for a minute or two or they’ll crumble to pieces when you try to put them on a plate.

Ingredients:

½ cup butter (1 stick)

1 ½ cup white sugar

1 ½ cup brown sugar

4 eggs

6 cups oats

2 cups peanut butter

1 tsp vanilla

2 ½ tsp baking soda

1-2 cup chocolate chips

Instructions:

1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a baking sheet with either a non-stick spray or line it with parchment paper.

2. Soften butter and measure out brown and white sugar. Mix until the three are thoroughly combined.

3.  Add the eggs one at a time and beat until they’re fully blended.

4. Add the vanilla and stir to combine.

5. Measure out the peanut butter and thoroughly beat it into the batter.

6.  Add the chocolate chips and oats.

7. Using a ¼ cup, measure out the dough and place on the cookie sheet. Using the palm of your hand, press down on the cookies to flatten them.

8. Bake for 8-10 minutes and let them sit on the baking sheet to cool for another 1-2 minutes. Remove to a plate. Eat and enjoy.