Women’s soccer tops Oberlin

By JOHN LICHINA

Staff Writer

Allegheny is yet to give up a goal in its first three conference matches after defeating Oberlin 5-0 this past Wednesday.

The Gators (7-4-2) were only forced to defend one shot on target in their match against the Yeowomen of Oberlin (4-9-0).

Allison Buzzard, ’14, scored her third goal of the season at the 15 minute mark.  Emily Byers, ’14, tacked on two goals of her own before the halftime whistle. Rookies Jesse Thiessen and Kayla Dantona both scored in the second half bringing the final score to five, the highest number of goals posted in one game by the Gators this season.

“The difficult thing sometimes during the season is not playing at your highest level,” said Head Coach Michael Webber. “For the most part, they have continued to do that, and keeping their approach they have been good with as well.”

Allegheny holds a plus eight goal differential through its first three conference wins.

Starting midfielder Jaymee Wallace, ’15, will be sidelined at least a week after sustaining a concussion during the matchup. This is Wallace’s second physical setback this season.

“We did win some games without her earlier this year, but she’s definitely a big part of our team,” said Sarah Schindler, ’16.

Ohio Wesleyan is the next destination on Allegheny’s schedule Saturday evening. The Battling Bishops are at the bottom of the NCAC and one more loss would remove them from playoff contention. The Gators are set on remaining focused, despite their spot atop the NCAC, according to players.

“If we get satisfied with where we are at, that’s when things start to go wrong,” said Emily Byers, ’14. “We always need to be looking to build and continue to do well.”

Allegheny defeated OWU at home last year 1-0. Their match Saturday will start at 5 p.m.