Men’s track and field hopes to improve on fourth place standing in NCAC Championships

By JOHN LICHINA
Staff Writer

Bobby Over, '13, looks to improve Allegheny's fourth place standing in the NCAC Championships in Wabash this weekend. RYAN BAKER/SPORTS INFORMATION
While the majority of the track and field team took a weekend away from competition to prepare for the North Coast Athletic
Conference Championships in Wabash, Indiana, teammates Taylor Ordines, ’15, Nathan Taggert, ’15, and sophomore Zach Hill began competition last weekend.

Prior to the break, the team has competed every weekend for the last three weeks.

The break left valuable time not traveling and allows athletes to catch up with anything they need to on or off the track.

A weekend with no competition does not translate to a weekend of relaxation.

“We are touching up on some main things we need to work on,” said Head Coach Brent Wilkerson. “We are focusing on the faster, harder workouts.”

Senior Taylor Throckmorton understands the reality of his difficult midweek training schedule.

As a senior, Throckmorton is prepared for the heart pounding runs that come with the weekend away from the track.

“It gives us the opportunity to really work hard this week,” Throckmorton said.

The time between competitions will allow the team to recover from injuries and illness. The squad will depart next Thursday for Wabash.

Wabash is the clear favorite to win their second successive indoor title. The sheer size of Wabash’s squad cannot be combated with the Gators’ hard training sessions.

Last season, Allegheny took nine individual event titles to lead the meet. Wabash came out on top by placing more competitors in the top eight.

“They have always had the total package for track,” said Bobby Over, ’13. “They are a team you have to look out for in every event.”

Wilkerson believes that the tough competition benefits his team.

Wabash and OWU are often ranked in the nation’s top 25, with Allegheny often competing for a spot as well.

“Track and field is all about competition,” said Wilkerson. “It is definitely and asset to have a good conference.”

While his teammates trained, sophomore Zach Hill finished fifth in the heptathlon, a two-day event.

Allegheny is currently sitting in fourth place overall.

Ohio Wesleyan was the winner of the heptathlon, placing three in the top six. They are leading heading into competition this weekend.

Freshmen Taggert and Ordines failed to enter the scoring, finishing ninth and thirteenth, respectively.

Ordines also finished tenth overall in the hurdles and the pole vault.