Elaina’s Eats: Pumpkin Cookies

By ELAINA MERCATORIS
News Co-Editor

The finished cookies, freshly baked. ELAINA MERCATORIS/THE CAMPUS
One lone can of pumpkin sat on my dresser for weeks, staring at me, begging to be eaten. Since the end of winter break, I’d saved it, not knowing what to bake.

Eventually I grew tired of only looking at the pumpkin and landed on a classic recipe of my childhood: pumpkin cookies, compliments of my mom Jane. It’s about time you became acquainted with her on a first-name basis. She’s the person I get most of my recipes from. She’s been a wonderful cook and baker throughout my entire life, so I have a havit of sharing with you some of her recipes that I loved growing up. Touching, isn’t it?

Well I’m no amateur at baking these pumpkin cookies. Sometimes I use raisins or chocolate chips, but I decided to go au-natural with this last can of pumpkin my possession.

The last time I baked them, a friend coined them “cloud cookes.” In comparison to my pumpkin muffins, these cokies are light, airy and scruptions.

Elaina's pumpkin cookies are "light and airy" treats. ELAINA MERCATORIS/THE CAMPUS
INSTRUCTIONS:

First, preheat your oven to 350 degrees and get out two bowls: one for dry, and one larger bowl for wet ingredients.

In the smaller of the two bowls, combine two cups floud, one teaspoon baking powder, one teaspoon baking soda, one teaspoon cinnamon and one-half teaspoon of salt.

In the larger bowl, mix (in the following order): one cup softened butter with one cup sugar, and then add one cup pumpkin, one egg, and one teaspoon vanilla extract. Mix well before gradually adding the dry mixture to the wet bowl.

If you want to add nuts or raisins or chocolate, now’s the time.

Then, using a spoon, drop cookies onto nonstick cookie sheet. If you do not own a nonstick cookie sheet, be sure to grease your cookie sheet.

Size is left up to your personal preference here. Make them big or small, but don’t try all different sizes on the same cookie sheet. You’re wondering why, huh? Because they cook at different speeds, dumbass.

But if you use a normal tablespoon, then they take about 10 to 12 minutes. A batch makes well over two dozen too, so there are plenty to share with your friends.

They go well with tea and/or coffee, according to my personal experience. I even like to grab one on the go for breakfast on the way to my 8 a.m. class.