Gator Sports Updater

Football

After a season in which they finished with a 7-3 overall record and sole possession of third place in the NCAC, the Gators look to take on top conference powerhouse Wittenberg, who has once again been predicted to finish atop the NCAC.
The Gators return 14 starters this season, and will boast a new signal caller in Jordan Fowler, ’12. Predicted to finish fourth in the conference, the squad begins NCAC competition on Sept. 24 at Wittenberg. Head coach Mark Matlak and his players will kick off the season at home on Saturday, Sept. 3 at 7 p.m. against Bethany.

Volleyball

After a season that ended with a loss to Denison eliminating the Gators from playoff contention, the volleyball squad welcomes back three experienced seniors in Caitlin Rothman, Audra Batdorff and Winnie Wong, junior Erin Kuhn and several solid sophomores.
Finishing with a 9-23 overall record, and a 5-9 NCAC record, the Gators were able to make a push at the playoffs at the end of last season after victories against Oberlin and Kenyon, despite their eight consecutive losses prior to those wins. The season will kick off on Sept. 2 with a tournament at Mount Union College.

Cross Country

The Gators’ cross country program has been strong in recent years. The men’s side finished fifteenth overall at the NCAA Cross Country Championships last season.
The Gators head into the fall campaign after graduating several standout seniors from last season including two-time All American Jeramie Parker. On the women’s side, the Gators finished tenth place overall at the NCAA Division III Mideast Regional. The squad returns Kristina Martin, ’14 and Kelly Gallagher, ’13, who earned All-Region honors last season. The season will begin in Cleveland, Ohio at the Case Western Invitational on Sept. 3.

Men’s Soccer

Last season the Gators captured a spot in the NCAC Tournament for the first time in seven years.
This season, the squad will be led by head coach Angelo Panzetta and will look to standout players like sophomore John Lichina who, in his rookie campaign, registered seven shutouts and received an NCAC Honorable Mention.
The team graduated six seniors last season and welcomes four freshmen this year.
The season begins with the Oberlin Tournament on Sept. 2 at Centre College.

Women’s Soccer

Last season the women’s soccer team reached their third NCAA tournament in program history.
Four players were named to the Great Lakes All-Region Unit and Emily Karr, ’12, recorded the best season in Allegheny history for a keeper with 17 shutouts and a seventh place finish in save percentage.
Also returning to the Gator roster this year is Alison Buzzard, ’14, who was voted the NCAC Newcomer of the Year last season.
Head Coach Michael Webber’s squad finished the season with a record of 14-2-4, their final loss coming in the tournament against Washington University.
Tennis
Last season the Gators finished with winning records on both the men’s and women’s side. The men finished the season with an overall record of 12-6 and their season ending loss to Wabash cost them a third place finish in the NCAC Tournament.
On the women’s side, the Gators ended the season at 13-9, a much improved record from the previous season.
The tennis season will begin here in Meadville Sept. 10 with the Nancy J. Heath Invitational.

Golf

The men’s side finished last season with a fourth place finish in the NCAC Championships, while the women chased the title at the NCAA Division III Women’s Golf Championships, securing the highest finish in school history when they captured sixth place in Florida.
Lauren Hammell, ’12, and Abby Sorensen, ’12, recently competed in the late-summer Hooters Women’s Collegiate Team Championship, where they defeated several Division I opponents as well as NCAC rival,Wittenberg.