Cookies making change

The heat was on as some of the sisters of Kappa Alpha Theta spent their time on Sunday night doing something other than planning their weekend Halloween costume; they were baking cookies — Halloween cookies — and lots of them. 
The baking was for their fundraiser, Cookies for CASA, which will feature Halloween–themed cookies.
Cookies for CASA is a week–long bake sale to support their national philanthropy, Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASA), an organization that trains adult volunteers to advocate for children going through the court system.
They testify in court for children who have been neglected and/or abused. CASA’s goal is to provide these children a safe and permanent home.
“CASA functions solely on donations from groups like Theta, so any little bit counts,” said Jennifer Schad, ’11, president of Kappa Alpha Theta. “Locally, there is a great need for support. The money that we raise helps keep CASA in operation.”
Not only does this bake sale benefit the organization, but it also benefits students who look forward to the homemade goods, which are a cheaper alternative to buying cookies at McKinley’s.
“Cookies are more expensive at McKinley’s so it’s nice to have the opportunity to buy a cheap cookie that also goes towards a good cause,” said Natalie Curtis, ’12.
McKinley’s cookies are either $1.10 or two cookies for $2.00, while the Cookies for CASA baked goods will be on sale for 75 cents or two for $1.00.
“Nothing shows love quite like a homemade cookie,” said John Hecht, ’13.  “Affordability and quality are what I’m looking for.  I’m not just going to buy a cookie from Wal–Mart that is wrapped in a Ziplock bag.  That shows little effort on the seller’s part.”
Schad invited people to her house on Sunday night to help her bake multiple batches of cookies.
“Thetas like an excuse to get together, especially when it involves food,” Schad said.
They are hoping to raise $200 from this bake sale. In their first day of sales, KAT sold 50 cookies, which was, according to Schad, better than they had expected.
The bake sale is continuing on the second floor of the Campus Center from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. today and Friday.
The bake sale is a lead-in to their annual event, Pasta for CASA which takes place Sunday, Nov. 7, from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. in Schultz Banquet Hall.
There will be an all–you–can–eat dinner of pasta, bread, salad, drinks and dessert. 
Tickets are $5 during pre–sale in the campus center and $7 at the door.
The sorority raised $2000 from this dinner last year, and this year they hope to raise at least $3000.