Cut Copy blossoms

In the glum Hoth-like Meadville winter, things at Allegheny can get depressing. To cheer up, Australian synth-pop band Cut Copy has graced us with their new album “Zonoscope.”

The opening track “Need You Know,” features a slow awakening from a low drone into a blossoming disco melody.

As the song progresses, everything seems more frantic as singer Dan Whitford grows more desperate to find his love. The song, though, is not a sappy love ballad, nor a simple pop song.

It is catchy, but there is an underlying sense of desperation: it’s like being on the dance floor waiting for the one you love. You are having fun, but you wish there were someone there to share it with you.

Throughout “Zonoscope,” there are returns to this theme of longing, but it almost seems secondary to the pop-infused synth. “Take Me Over” and “Pharaohs and Pyramids” are especially heavy on the keyboards, but it seems to be what Cut Copy does best.

There are other tracks, like “Where I’m Going” and “Alisa,” which take a turn into Beach Boys-esque surf-rock, but it doesn’t feel the same as the rest.

Some might call it over-indulgent, but Cut Copy has an undeniable hook buried in its bass-driven electronic sound.

“Zonoscope” is like a strong gust of spring air. It’s a refreshing record filled with fun moments, even if it is a bit synth-heavy at times.

The synth-heavy beats are actually the best songs on the album.

The first two songs, “Need You Now” and “Take Me Over” create high expectations for the rest of the album because they are both excellent songs; the more guitar based songs feel like an interlude to real album.

Fans of electronic pop will likely love this album; others may find listening to the whole thing a bit much.

“Need You Now” and “Take Me Over,” however, are fun songs that can warm anyone’s day.