Idols Bring Spirit to Allegheny

Christmas comes early this year with the help of former “American Idol” contestants in the American Stars in Concert holiday performance.

Before Santa Claus comes to town, these talented singers will lend their voices Wednesday night for a medley of festive music.

Photo credit to Allegheny.edu
Photo credit to Allegheny.edu

Four top–12 finalists from past seasons of the hit reality show will spread some Christmas spirit in Shafer Auditorium at 8 p.m. to provide an evening of beloved holiday melodies.

The singers are visiting Allegheny as one of their 12 stops in cities across the country.

Emma Cook, ’12, is excited to see singers she recognizes from “Idol.”

“I’ve been watching ‘Idol’ for years,” Cook said. “It’s so convenient they are going to be right on campus.”

The concert is, however, not only for “Idol” fans but for anyone who cannot wait for the 25th.

Tim Cooper, the director of Conference and Event Services, expressed his enthusiasm for this year’s festive performance.

“The show on campus blends some incredible talent with the spirit of the holiday,” Cooper said. “What a great way for the campus community to begin the holiday season!”

The gifted singers showcased on the tour will be Gina Glocksen from season six, David Hernandez from season seven and Michael Sarver and

Alexis Grace from season eight. All four singers gained loyal fan bases during their tenure on the show.

Dubbed the rocker of season six, Glocksen was a fan favorite. She finished in ninth place after performing solid covers of songs by artists such as Heart, Evanescence and the Rolling Stones.

During season seven, Hernandez performed a few showstoppers as well. His rendition of “Papa Was a Rolling Stone” stole the show in the semifinals.

Sarver and Grace also had notable performances before they were voted off the show.

Sarver won over a number of fans with his soulful sound and easygoing disposition.

The country singer, who held a blue collar job as an oil rigger before being thrust into the Hollywood spotlight, garnered a number of votes for his likeable, down–to–earth personality. He finished in tenth place.

Grace, the spunky contestant from Memphis, was voted off in twelfth place, following her rendition of Dolly Parton’s “Jolene.”

Since their respective seasons, these entertaining singers have showcased their unique talents on the summer American Idols Live Tour with other fellow contestants. Now, they are preparing for a new show and a new season.

Here on campus, however, holiday shows have been a tradition. Rebecca Wiler, assistant director of the Office of Events, explained the office’s annual entertainment plan.

“We try to have a big show in the fall every year,” Wiler said. “Depending on the crowd this year, we may continue to hold the American Idol concert.”

Nearby schools such as the University of Pittsburgh and Slippery Rock University will also host the event within the coming weeks.

Because the performance is open to non–students, a fair amount of the Meadville community is expected to attend, according to Wiler.

The show costs $10 for Allegheny students with ID, $15 for adults and $12 for children under the age of 12. Tickets can be purchased online, by calling the Office of Events at 814 – 332 – 3101, or at the door.