The Comedy Corner: Pistons, Hypnotists and Parisians

The Detroit Pistons are eyeing Tobias Harris as a potential target due to him entering unrestricted free-agency this summer, according to Bleacher Report.
Harris in response, has been avoiding eye contact with any members of the Pistons organization.
The Pistons record is currently 8-44. Harris is a member of the Philadelphia 76ers. Their record is 32-22.

The Miami Herald reported on Feb. 5 that a Miami City Attorney is being investigated by the Florida Bar over alleged connections to a house-flipping scheme.
“First the houses did flips,” said an investigator with the Florida Bar. “What’s next? Handsprings, splits or cartwheels? When will it stop?”

The Hill reported on Feb. 7 that Republican strategist Karl Rove has shut down speculation that former first lady Michelle Obama will replace President Biden in the 2024 election, calling it “pure lunacy.” (real quote)
You know something is crazy when one of the architects of the 2003 U.S. invasion of Iraq says so.

Local investors in Buffalo, New York have agreed to buy the former Church of the Ascension in the Allentown neighborhood and turn it into apartments, according to The Buffalo News.
“We wanted to preserve the building, I mean, it’s stunning,” said one of the investors. “Besides, people always want to be next to Godliness. Why not live in it?

The Guardian reported on Feb 7. that Robert Temple, a comedy hypnotist, has successfully overturned the Hypnotism Act of 1952 — an act that prohibited public hypnosis from being performed without local authority permission — allowing him to perform his upcoming show in Bolton, U.K.
“I’m worried we may have opened Pandora’s Box by repealing the act,” said one of the Bolton council members who voted against the repeal.
Before the council member could continue, Temple entered and said “You’re feeling sleepy.”
The council member instantaneously fell asleep at his desk and reporters were kindly escorted off the premises.

Richard Plaud, 47, from Montpellier-de-Médillan in western France was told by the Guinness Book of Records that his replica Eiffel Tower measuring 7.19 meters (23 feet) did not qualify because he had used the wrong kind of matches, the BBC reported on Feb 7.
Plaud had received his supplies from a match manufacturer who provided him sulfur-less matches – the red part at the end. These matches are not “commercially available” (real quote) so the tower was unable to qualify for a record.
The model took Plaud over eight years to complete.
Though his dreams have gone down in flames, it will be much harder for his tower to, due to the lack of match heads.
This is good news for Lebanese model maker Toufic Daher who holds the record. His tower stands at 6.53 meters (21 feet).
“I’m glad to still hold the record, even if only through a technicality,” Daher said. “Maybe one day I’ll meet my match.”

The Washington Post reported on Feb. 8 that the Supreme Court was grilling lawyers on Donald Trump’s ballot eligibility.
This begs the question, did they use propane or charcoal?

The Oregonian reported that the Portland Audubon has dropped both the ‘Portland’ and ‘Audubon’ from their name on Feb. 6.
Initial reports were that the name was simply “ .”
Later, it was revealed that the new organization name would be the Bird Alliance of Oregon.

AP published a piece on Feb. 8 explaining why they called Nevada GOP caucuses for Donald Trump.
The reasoning for calling the race? Trump had received nearly 98% of the vote.

Cuba has charged 30 people for stealing 133 tonnes (roughly 146 tons) of chicken and selling them on the street, according to Reuters.
“It took a lot of luck to find the chicken truck. The heist had us dumbstruck and had a lot of angry citizens running amuck,” said one of the authorities who caught the thieves. “Thankfully they stole some live chickens as well and we could follow their clucking, which helped us with the criminal plucking.”