NaviGator Spotlight: Econ with Prof. Timothy Bianco

What is one piece of advice you’d give to those who wish to take an economics course at Allegheny?
Studying economics may feel like navigating a maze of complexity, but trust me when I say that you can handle it. Trust in your ability to grasp the intricacies and perhaps even find your own passion for economics along the way. Embrace the challenges with patience, understanding that confusion is a natural part of the learning process. Seize the opportunity to engage, work diligently, connect with professors and peers and persist until the pieces fall into place. In your academic journey, remember that learning often begins in moments of uncertainty.

What made you fall in love with economics?
I love the challenge of answering difficult questions, much like assembling a puzzle. Economics, as a discipline, offers intelligible and clever ways of trying to answer important questions. Entering college as an economics major, I often received puzzled looks and comments from my peers like, “I hated my economics class” or “Why would you do that to yourself?” More than two decades ago, walking into my first economics class, I was blissfully unaware of what economics even was. Back then, I couldn’t understand my peers’ distaste for the subject, and truth be told, I still can’t. I have grown to love economics. Now, as a professor, I want to share my enthusiasm for economics with my students and help them discover their own passions, even if it extends beyond economics.

What has your career journey looked like? What is one piece of advice you’d give to your past self?
Post-graduation, my journey led me through roles in banking, as an economics instructor at my alma mater and as an analyst for the Federal Reserve. I loved each of these, but on the brink of turning 30, I decided to make a significant life change and go on to pursue a Ph.D. in economics, drawn back to the classroom by a desire to continue learning. Reflecting on this, I’d advise my past self — and current students — that their 20s are a great time for exploration. It’s perfectly okay not to spend your entire career with your first or even second employer, and if you find yourself dissatisfied in your current situation, don’t shy away from seeking something new. Even if content in your career, if you long for something more and the means allow, consider exploring a new career path. Remember, very few things in life are permanent, and the pursuit of passion is often worth the risk.

Anything you want students at Allegheny to know about you, your department, or anything else?
I’d like students at Allegheny to know about all of the opportunities available to them. We have fantastic student-led co-curricular organizations, such as Women in Business and Economics and the Wealth Management Club. Our department is also home to the Bruce R. Thompson Center for Business and Economics, which I co-direct. We host a range of events each semester, including sessions where experts in the field, often alumni, share their insights and knowledge with our students. From student competitions to alumni trips and events led by our CBE Fellows, there is a wealth of opportunities to learn beyond the classroom. It’s not something you find everywhere, and I urge each of you to explore these opportunities, connect with our department, or chat with our CBE Fellows to discover how you can be a part of it all. Everyone is welcome!