The Return of the Comedy Column

The House of Representatives has finally chosen Mike Johnson to be the new speaker. After taking so long he must be a phenomenal person, right?
There’s no possibility he’s anti-abortion rights, against same-sex marriages, or a 2020 election denier, or that he’s a younger, less-known version of Jim Jordan disguised as a polite Southern gentleman. Surely such a divisive figure wouldn’t be thrust into the speakership?

Scottish tennis star Andy Murray, 36, told the BBC he is “not enjoying” his tennis after a loss to 24-year-old Australian Alex de Minaur at the Paris Masters. Murray has faced de Minaur six times and has never beaten him. My advice to Murray is simple: Stop playing de Minaur and I bet you’ll feel a lot better.

The BBC reports that Welsh duo Filkin’s Drift have been walking around Wales, performing nearly 50 shows in local pubs.
They’ve walked over 870 miles with their instruments on their backs. They were inspired by Beyoncé and her use of private jets compared to Chris Martin of Coldplay fame who simply took the train. The duo decided to take the idea of sustainability to the extreme.
A fantastic idea and even better message to be sending, but I still think “I’m Gonna Be (500 Miles)” by The Proclaimers is a better song than the yet-to-be-seen “I’m Gonna Be (870 Miles)” by Filkin’s Drift.

The HundrED Innovation Summit 2023 in Helsinki has invited Crawford Central School District Superintendent Tom Washington to speak at the conference, the Meadville Tribune reported on Oct. 31.
“It’s amazing that we were even invited,” Washington said last week regarding the conference. “It’s great publicity for Crawford Central School District.”
I’ve been looking for ways to increase the school district’s popularity in Finland. Glad to hear we finally found a way to do it.

The Apollo Maennerchor Club in Sharon — around 50 miles southwest of Meadville — is haunted. Digital Paranormal Investigations came to the conclusion after a nighttime search of the club on Oct. 27, according to the Meadville Tribune.
Thankfully the team found no evidence of headless apparitions or blood-curdling screams. All the apparitions had proper heads and the screams could be defined as milk-curdling at best.
Club Manager Jeff Zolnier and his daughter were cleaning the bar downstairs one night, when suddenly music began playing in the upstairs hall. Upon reaching the hall, the music stopped. Have we considered the ghosts just didn’t want Zolnier and his daughter to interrupt their dance party?

Salon reports that Virginia Gov. Glenn Youngkin’s election team admitted to having mistakenly removed roughly 3,400 voters from the state’s voter rolls ahead of the upcoming general election. I’m sure this was an honest mistake. The original number that needed removal was 270. You know how math goes; one, two, skip a few, 3,400. This was in no way, shape or form an infringement on constitutional rights of American citizens — that couldn’t possibly be, could it?

Kimberly Garcia of Team Peru thought she had broken the world record in the 20 km race walk at the 2023 Pan American Games. Unfortunately for Garcia, the course was measured incorrectly, being around three km (1.86 miles) short, according to CNN. In other, unrelated news, the organizers of the event were given a gold medal for the quickest and most hastily set up race. Our condolences to Garcia and congratulations to the organizers of the games.