High expectations for women’s tennis in 2023

Sami Mirza
Jean-Arlette Legrand, ’24, waiting to return the ball to her opponent during the Allegheny Invitational.

The Allegheny women’s tennis team is ready to win another conference championship this year. The defending Presidents’ Athletic Conference champions were recently voted No. 1 in the PAC’s 2023-24 preseason coaches’ poll.

During the 2022-23 season, the Gators went undefeated in the fall and won 14 consecutive matches before defeating Franciscan University to win the PAC Championship. In the spring, the team continued to rally and won several more matches, including a win against Pitt-Greensburg in the first round of the NCAA Championships in May.

Five players were also highlighted in the coaches’ polls as players to watch this season for the Gators. Of the handful was All-PAC first team Jean-Arlette Legrand, ’24, along with two fellow returners Maria Londer, ’26, and Sabrina Rodriguez, ’25. Two first-year players Rei Estumi, ’27, and Emilia Grydnieva, ’27, made the cut as well.

Emilia Grydnieva, ’27, was shocked to hear about how she was a highlighted player to watch for the season.

“It was weird and not something I expected at all,” said Grydnieva. “I didn’t know how to react.”

Grynieva came to Allegheny College from Kyiv, Ukraine. She explained how her family had to move to France because of the war with Russia. Grynieva’s father is still there and is not permitted to leave.

“The war has been difficult,” Grynieva said. “Especially because my father cannot leave, but it’s important that I continue to tell my story and talk about my family to others.”

Grynieva’s father was the main reason she started playing tennis. He introduced the game to her roughly six years ago. After some convincing, she gave it a chance. Since picking up the racket, it has been her goal to play at the collegiate level.

“I’ve always wanted to play in college, so when Head Coach Dave Hayden saw videos of me playing and reached out I instantly knew this was my chance,” Grynieva explained, “Now my new goal is to be able to play in big tournaments such as the NCAA and ITA.”

Not only were the Gators recognized by the PAC for their accolades, they were also acknowledged by the Intercollegiate Tennis Association. The team was recognized as an All-Academic Team by the ITA during their 2023 season, and the ITA began its six-week 2023 tour at the Robertson Tennis Complex in Meadville.

Another standout player is Legrand. She made All-PAC first team in singles and doubles last season and was also an All-NCAC honorable mention for singles and doubles in the spring of her sophomore campaign. Being named as one of the captains this year, she has one big goal for herself and the team this year.

“We all want to win this year, but for my last year, my biggest thing for myself and what I’ll remind the team of is to have fun,” Legrand said, “We have some pressure on us this year since we are the defending champions, but we just need to constantly remind ourselves to relax and play the game we know how to play.”

The preseason poll ranking is new to this women’s team, but their desire to defend their position is stronger than ever.

“We expected to get ranked first due to our performance last season, but it’s still a new feeling for all of us,” Legrandsaid. “We went from ranking seventh or eighth in the NCAC to being first in the PAC. It’s giving us more confidence as a team to be able to play the matches our way and just enjoy what we’re doing.”

Over the weekend, the Gators played 27 matches and won 16 during their invitational. Hayden, who was unavailable to comment, ran the invitational and was responsible for recruiting teams such as Division II schools Daemen University and Edinboro University. The team was most successful in singles matches, where six Gators went undefeated.

Estumi, Grydnieva, and Rodriguez won their single matches, and Arlette finished the weekend with six wins overall.

This season the Gators will be hosting seven events at the Robertson Athletic Complex. Their fall season started over the weekend with the Allegheny Invitational on Sept. 2 and 3, and the team will begin conference play against Geneva College on Sept. 13.

The women’s tennis team will travel to Gambier, Ohio to play at the Kenyon College invitational this coming weekend, Sept. 9 and 10.