Blue and Gold weekend is a touchdown with football win

Sami Mirza

Trevon Worship, ’23, rushing through the Yellow Jacket defense. Worship rushed for a career high 201 yards.

A Packed house at Frank B. Fuhrer field. The Allegheny community joined together to cheer on the hometown Gators in a battle against the Yellow Jackets of Waynesburg.
Levi Swartz, ’26, waltzes into the endzone on a 63 yard touchdown catch-and-run in the second quarter. This was the Gators longest play of the season.

The Allegheny football team earned another victory this past Saturday against Waynesburg University, as Trevon Worship, ’23, rushed for a career high 201 yards on 22 carries en route to a 31-15 victory over the Yellow Jackets.

The community also celebrated Blue and Gold weekend, a tradition that continually brings a vibrant atmosphere to the game and culture. Sean King, assistant athletic director for game management and marketing, was one of the individuals running the show and loved how the events turned out.

“When we’re trying to do big events like that, I judge it based off just walking around and seeing how many smiling faces I can see,” King said. “I didn’t see one non-smiling face this past weekend, it was incredible.”

Everyone was in a good mood thanks to Allegheny’s performance on the field. The player of the game was with no question the tailback, Worship. The machine averaged 9.1 yards per carry, and found the end zone twice in his dominant performance on the field.

“I’ve never done that before,” Worship said on rushing for 200 yards. “I just gotta congratulate my linemen for stepping up and getting the line together to open those creases and holes for me to make my moves.”

Worship was productive all game for the Gators, but took the game away in the third quarter with some extra juice. He busted open a 54-yard rush into Yellow Jackets territory on the first play from scrimmage. John Ian Duron, ’23, capped off the drive with a goal line touchdown, and was a great one-two punch counterpart to his fellow senior back.

Jack Johnson, ’24, found numerous targets throughout the game, completing 18 passes on 33 attempts. He threw for 228 yards including a 63 yard touchdown pass to Levi Swartz, ’26, late in the second quarter. Ian Durci, ’25, shined once again as he finished the day with 76 yards on 6 receptions. He currently is the teams leading receiver in yards on the season, totaling 223 after the win.

The defense gelled together and played well off the offense. Chris Rubino, ’24, was down in the trenches battling for four quarters, reaping the rewards of two sacks and a tackle for loss. The rest of the defense added two more sacks, and a fumble recovery on special teams.

Blue and Gold weekend is something that takes months to plan, and the event represents more than the football game. Family, alumni, faculty, staff and students are all joined together by what is a combination of alumni weekend and homecoming. The guests are treated by the college to a three-day venue of the Gator atmosphere and city of Meadville.

The homecoming TailGATOR and ensuing game are still one of the main attractions of the weekend. The crowd amassed a total of 4,221 people, and was roaring throughout the game in part to the enthusiastic personality of the new PA announcer Steven Folmar.

Student Life Coordinator Gloria Burgess was also working the event hands on. Fans had a smorgasbord of different events to encounter, including a tattoo stand, free foam fingers, smoothie machines and a face paint artist.

There were also inflatables, a rock wall and made-to-order balloons by balloon artist “Magic Steve.” The parking lot outside the stadium was completely filled by tailgaters hours before the game had started. The stands were filled to the brim. Everyone was enjoying football Saturday in all its glory.

“It was nice to see students who actually wanted to be there, and were excited to cheer on the Gators,” Burgess said. “I think it made a difference, by the end of the game we ended up winning.”
The atmosphere of athletics has also been resurrected due to Allegheny’s rebirth in the PAC. Playing schools that are closer to home, it is more appealing to fans to come and support their team on the road.

During the game, King was in the stadium and asked a Waynesburg family that was passing by how their overall experience was at the game.

“The dad stopped and he looked at me and he goes, ‘this is the best football atmosphere I’ve seen since my son has been playing,’” King said.

The wave of spectators poured over to the men’s and women’s soccer games that were going on in surrounding fields during the time of the football game. The entire Robertson complex was crammed like a pack of sardines, and it brought a feeling that has not been felt since the pre-pandemic days.

Overseeing the whole weekend was Associate Vice President for Development Phil Foxman, ’90, who also expressed his enthusiasm toward being able to meet the needs of the community. Foxman is an alumni og the college, and takes pride in being part of the Allegheny community.

Foxman has been a part of Allegheny’s staff for decades, but his love for the school dates back to his time as a student. He met his wife in the Greek life community, and built connections that he still has to this day. Foxman could not have imagined building his future anywhere else.

“I think it starts as a student, and you just see the potential of what a place like Allegheny can be,” Foxman said. “What happens at this college can be so life changing, and it’s a privilege to be a part of that.”

Allegheny will kickoff again at 2 p.m. this Saturday, Oct. 1, as they take on The Presidents of Washington and Jefferson College on the road. The Gators plan to keep their momentum rolling, as they look for back to back wins for the first time since 2019.