ASG discusses logistics of Blue and Gold Weekend at general assembly

Allegheny Student Government featured a guest speaker at this week’s general assembly, which commenced on Zoom at 7 p.m. on Tuesday, May 3.
Vice President Sophie Adams, ’22, introduced Associate Vice President for Institutional Advancement Phil Foxman of Developmental and Alumni Affairs. Foxman was looking for students’ input on what they would like to see for Blue and Gold Weekend, slated to take place Sept. 23-25.
Blue and Gold Weekend is when alumni return to Allegheny and families come to visit students. As Foxman explained, Friday, Sept. 23, is meant for student-alumni interaction, whether that takes place in classrooms or on panels. Saturday, Sept. 24, will focus more on events for families, including a football game.
“(We’re) thinking about … core competency skills, thinking about expertise that relates to an academic discipline, thinking a little bit about interviewing — potentially job hiring — and then some kind of network event,” Foxman said.
Vice President-elect Rudra Schultz-Ray asked if the college was planning to take any precautions to create a safe environment for survivors of sexual assault on campus, given that certain alumni have Title IX cases against them.
Foxman agreed that safety measures should be taken with offenders, including checking in with the Title IX office, and said he would do what he could to make students feel safe.
Director of Community Relations Kyrié Doniz, ’23, and Senator Ray Colabawalla, ’25, also suggested having alumni from a variety of different academic sectors come in, so that students can have someone to talk to regardless of what they are studying.
Senator Elle Hudson, ’23, asked about what measures would be taken regarding COVID-19 during Blue and Gold Weekend. He wondered if guests would be required to wear masks.
“I think right now is a really pertinent time for us to start thinking critically about how our school handles outbreaks,” he said, “and this seems like this could be an opportunity for one,” Hudson said.
Foxman answered that he would be in contact with the Allegheny College Health Agency to see what they would advise, but the specific actions would depend on where the college is in terms of the virus.
Students with further questions were encouraged to contact Foxman at [email protected].
According to Director of Finance Olivia Brophy, ’23, finance requests for the week totaled $1,573 from the general fund. A motion to approve these requests was passed.
Brophy also explained that for the past two semesters, ASG Senate has approved $30,500 from the student action fund. Due to missed accounting as a result of money not being transferred for last semester’s projects, the finance committee approved money from the fund that was not available. A motion to move $19,000 from the general fund to the student action fund was passed.
The first round of budget hearings for the 2022-23 academic year went well, Brophy said. The next round will occur Sunday, May 8 from 11:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. via Zoom.
Director of Diversity and Inclusion Jennifer Peralta, ’22, announced that the furniture for the multicultural lounge will be delivered by the end of the week.
“I’m really excited about this project,” Peralta said. “It’s been in the works for a minute.”
Director of Student Affairs Elizabeth Graham, ’22, said that Saturday, May 7, is the last day to complete the Student Life Survey.
Director of Communications and Press Ryder Sullivan, ’22, said that the ASG shirts have been ordered and will be delivered by the end of the month.
As Doniz stated, the business of the week is Indigo Boutique and Botanica, located at 945 Market St.
According to Director of Organizational Development Crystal Hernandez, ’23, the tentative new date for the ASG formal will be Friday, May 13.
Parliamentarian Rachael Harris, ’22, announced that the 2022-23 senate guidelines for the 2022-23 Senate elections are live. Parliamentarian Rachael Harris, ’23, Harris explained that the deadline for candidates to submit their reasons for running, a short biography, and a candidate photo is 11:59 p.m. on May 9. Candidates can email these items to Harris and Attorney General Jack Parker, ’22.
President of the Class of 2022 Dory-Sarah Debrosse said her class’s event with Career Education and the Maytum Center for Student Success, which took place that day in the Henderson Campus Center lobby, earned a “great turnout.”
The first-year formal has been postponed to the fall. President of the Class of 2025 Abigail Estrada-Hernandez explained that it will be changed to a welcome-back event for sophomores.
ASG heard from two nominees for the 2022-23 cabinet: first, Adriana Solis, ’23, for Director of Finance; and then Haley Hersh, ’23, for Director of Sustainability and Environmental Affairs. Solis introduced herself and cited her experience with accounting, including taking accounting competitively in high school and holding accounting internships post-high school. After a discussion period in which ASG members asked her questions, a motion to approve Solis to the position did not pass.
Hersh then introduced herself and explained ideas she had concerning sustainability, including reusable grocery bags and an e-waste drive. A discussion period then followed, after which a motion to approve her to the position did not pass.
A motion to table cabinet nominations for next week passed.
Vice President Sophie Adams, ’22, congratulated seniors who have finished their senior comprehensive projects and wished those who are defending their comps good luck.
The assembly adjourned at 8:42 p.m.