Relay Saturday: Students walk for cancer cure

One would be hard pressed to find someone who has not at least heard of Relay For Life, a national fund riser headed by the American Cancer Society-especially on the Allegheny campus where Relay has been going strong for a number of years.

The event is set for Saturday April 24, all day on Brooks Walk. While Relay For Life is itself the main event, the day consists of many smaller events throughout the day.

It is first and foremost a fund raiser.

Teams sign up months in advance and begin their fundraising, often through email and private donations.

Each team member also donates 10 dollars to the cause upon signing up.

All of this culminates in the final Relay event where each team sets up a booth with a specific event to raise money.

Relay For Life is also a walk up and down Brooks Walk in support of the cause.

The day will start at 9 a.m. with an opening lap, followed by activities planned by the Relay For Life board.

Events include “Blindfolded Battle Ship” and a black jack lap. There will also be survivors lap at 1 p.m.

Relay For Life has never coincided with the musical act that comes to campus; however, this weekend Allegheny will also be hosting Third Eye Blind.

Because of this, the Relay For Life board decided to incorporate music into the day.

Two musical acts will be playing live at Relay For Life this year: Nick Marzock will play at 2 p.m.

At 4 p.m. Route 5th, a group made up of former Meadville students who now attend Edinboro University, will play.

Relay For Life is in it’s 6th year at Allegheny and students are already excited.

“Relay is just a really fun day which brings together many different communities for one great cause” said Bethany Glaser, ’10. Glaser has participated inconjunction with her sorority each year she attended.

Teams will set up their booths starting at 9 a.m. and stay for the duration of the event, raising money in any way they want.

The Relay For Life team has been planning the event since the beginning of this year, according to Lisa Gleason, ’10. Gleason is the head of the Relay For Life.

In addition to the booths, Relay For Life will also be auctioning off a game-used hockey stick signed by Marc Andre Fleury of the Pittsburgh Penns. Tickets will be sold throughout the day; 1 for $3or 2 for $5.

Weather permitting the day should be highly successful and pull in quite a bit of money for the cause.

Teams have been formed from all types of groups on campus including sports teams and Greek organizations.