ASG approves recreational green space budget

Allegheny Student Government commenced this week’s general assembly at 7:31 p.m. in room 301/302 of the Henderson Campus Center.
As Director of Finance Olivia Brophy, ’23, outlined, finance requests for this week consisted of $1,096 from the general fund, $1,824 for the Allegheny Bike Share, and $1,970 for initiatives for the South Asian Student Society and the Islamic Cultural Association. A motion to approve these requests was passed.
In addition, Director of Sustainability and Environmental Affairs Andi Reiser, ’23, had some finance-related matters to bring to the table regarding her recreational green space project.
“It would be a sustainably-created green space for students to use for hammocks, and there would be native trees, a fire pit,” Reiser explained. “Just a nice hangout spot, relaxation spot for campus.”
Aside from the three aforementioned features, students also indicated interest in a swing set and slack lines in the survey sent out in March.
Reiser’s finance requests totaled approximately $11,100, and the student action fund has approximately $12,000, so Brophy thought that the money needed for the green space project could be acquired from the student action fund.
After a three-minute discussion, a motion to take $11,091 from the student action fund for Reiser’s project was approved.
Director of Communications and Press Ryder Sullivan, ’22, reported that she had emailed Provost Ron Cole, ’87, to see if he was interested in doing an interview about the current campus climate.
Reiser, in her cabinet report, said that she had recently been told that the Institutional Review Board approval she had been waiting on for the water bottle refill stations was not necessary. Stations will be put up soon and will run until the end of the semester.
The menstrual cup giveaway would take place Wednesday, April 13, through Friday, April 15, in the campus center from 12-2:00 p.m. Reiser encouraged ASG members to sign up to table.
Director of Community Relations Kyrié Doniz, ’23, announced that the business of the week was Casey’s Ice Cream and Candies, located on 11343 Port Road.
Director of Organizational Development Crystal Hernandez, ’23, encouraged everyone to sign up for the ASG formal, which will take place in about three weeks and will feature a garden theme.
Attorney General Jack Parker, ’22, introduced Ashlynn Peachey, ’23, the current leader of the Sustainable Design Team.
This organization operates as a subsection of Students for Environmental Action and is seeking approval for its constitution so it can have a budget and function independently of SEA.
“If any of you guys have seen the trees and plants and bushes outside of the Carrden, that’s been us,” Peachey said. “Right now, we’re planting what’s called a food forest. There’s about 60 plants going outside the Carrden, different tree species, and they’ve all been … planned using permaculture principles, so they can all intertwine and work together in a different sustainable agricultural example here on campus.”
After Peachey spoke about her club, Parker explained the delay in the voting process.
“When (Parliamentarian Rachael Harris, ’22) and I first looked at (the constitution), one thing that kind of raised eyebrows was we were like, ‘Is this just Students for Environmental Action trying to find a different route of funding?’ And that doesn’t seem what this is at all,” Parker said. “Allegheny as an institution is probably most known for its Environmental Science department. It prides itself on it. And having as many outlets as possible independent from one another creating change on campus … is very important.”
The organization was approved for the first week of voting. The second round will occur at the following week’s general assembly.
Chief of Staff Genesis Pena, ’22, reiterated what had been announced on the @alleghenymec_ Instagram account an hour previously: the artist performing at the Major Event Concert is A Boogie wit da Hoodie. The concert will take place April 23 in the Raymond P. Shafer Auditorium, and doors will open at 7:30 p.m.
“We’re really excited to bring this artist to campus,” Pena said. “We think that he’s going to be super fun for everybody.”
President of the Class of 2022 Dory-Sarah Debrosse said that her class is communicating with a photographer for senior portraits. Plans for a senior social are underway.
On behalf of the Class of 2023, president-elect Veronica Green reported that her class had met with several administrators the previous week to discuss the vision for their senior year. She also discussed three upcoming events: a possible campus-wide iftar dinner for the Islamic Cultural Association, a cup condom giveaway with Why Not Us? and a potential movie on the Gator Quad.
President of the Class of 2025 Abigail Estrada-Hernandez reminded everyone that GatorCon would be held Thursday, April 14, from 5:30-8:30 p.m. in Shafer Auditorium. Senator Nicole Recio Bremer encouraged ASG members to attend the International Festival, occurring on Sunday, April 17, from 5-7 p.m. in the campus center lobby.
Green announced that cabinet applications for the 2022-23 academic year are now out, and vice-president elect Rudra Schultz-Ray, ’23, reported that he was in the midst of organizing a timeline of initiatives for the coming academic year.
Volunteer sheets for both Springfest and the concert will be available soon, according to Vice President Sophie Adams, ’22, Students will not get volunteer hours for the concert, since their ticket will be reimbursed through volunteering, but they will get hours if they volunteer for Springfest.
The assembly adjourned at 8:05 p.m.