ASG hears proposal for ‘Fishing Club’

Allegheny Student Government commenced this week’s General Assembly at 7:30 p.m. on Tuesday, March 1, in room 301/302 of the Henderson Campus Center.
Director of Finance Lucas Biniewski, ’23, reported that he is in the process of revisiting and revising financial guidelines, and that information about budget applications will be released Friday, March 4. He would be presenting to the Finance and Facilities Committee Wednesday, March 2, regarding ASG’s annual expenditures.
A motion to approve $2,970 from the general fund and $550 from the Culture, Inclusion, and Leadership Coalition fund was passed.
Director of Diversity and Inclusion Jennifer Peralta, ’22, reminded everyone of her upcoming event, Rookie Year 101, which is scheduled for Friday, March 4, from 1:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m in the campus center lobby. Sophomores and juniors are encouraged to attend.
“The information you’re going to be getting, it’s useful for all four years,” Perlata said.
Peralta also mentioned that she submitted the wishlist for the multicultural lounge.
Director of Communications and Press Ryder Sullivan, ’22, said that the biographies for the presidential and vice presidential candidates are now on the ASG website, as well as that she finished a video about navigating said ASG website. In addition, she announced that the organization Why Not Us? would be hosting an event on bystander training on Wednesday, March 2, from 5:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. in the Tippie Alumni Center.
Attorney General Jack Parker, ’22, announced that because Director of Sustainability and Environmental Affairs Andi Reiser, ’23, and Biniewski dropped out of the ASG presidential race, primary elections would no longer take place.
Parliamentarian Rachael Harris, ’23, said that sometime next week there would be a Title IX bystander training event with Title IX Coordinator Gilly Ford. She also gave details regarding the upcoming presidential debate, which will be occurring Tuesday, March 15, at 7:00 p.m. in the Quigley Auditorium. Ethan Woodfill, ’22, and Roman Hladio, ’23, Editors-in-Chief for The Campus, will be moderating.
Furthermore, Harris introduced Travis Dear, ’24, to speak on Allegheny Fishing Club, a prospective ASG-recognized club seeking voting for its constitution.
“I think that the fishing club could be a great opportunity for Allegheny Students to … learn more about fishing and what it has to offer and also … create a community around a sport that I love,” Dear said. “I think we can create some really good community involvement.”
Fishing Club was approved for the first week of voting. The second round will occur at next week’s assembly.
Chief of Staff Genesis Pena, ’22, announced two students looking to be approved for College Committee Councils: Becca Winton, ’23, for the Academic Standards and Awards Committee; and Aja Short, ’25, for the Curriculum Committee. Both motions to approve the students passed.
President of the Class of 2022 Dory-Sarah Debrosse said that her class is going to host its first event, featuring cookie decorating and senior letter writing, next Wednesday from 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. in the Blue Lounge in Brooks Hall.
President of the Class of 2023 Olivia Brophy reported that her class will be meeting to discuss this semester’s events and is planning on helping the class of 2025 with the upcoming event Gator Con.
Vice President of the Class of 2024 Payne Rizzer announced that his class decided to select Juliana James as a senator and thanked those who purchased carnations for Phi Delta Theta and Alpha Chi Omega.
President of the Class of 2025 Abigail Estrada-Hernandez said that her class is trying to get more students to sign up to present at Gator Con. Speech submissions are due Friday, April 1. Estrada-Hernandez also reported that the class is looking to create a committee for the upcoming first-year formal to help with things such as music selection and deciding on a theme.
According to Vice President Sophie Adams, ’22, the Loop ran “without a hitch” last weekend. Adams had heard that given the transportation’s popularity with students, every twenty minutes at the Allegheny Commons on Friday got a bit irritating, but nevertheless she was pleased it was running.
“I had had one student ask about weekday running,” Adams added. “If you guys have strong opinions or rely on it during the week and want to influence it, let me know.”
President Noah Tart, ’22, reminded those who participated in Service Saturday to email Director of Organizational Development Crystal Hernandez to make sure that these service hours were logged.
The assembly adjourned at 7:44 p.m.