JaDE has full buckets of fun with philanthropy efforts

It’s Saturday night and Springfest is over.  There isn’t much to do. 

Luckily, JaDE, Allegheny’s Jazz Dance Ensemble, is here to spice things up — and with tie–dye shirts, no less.

Bethany Glaser, '10

This Saturday night, from 7 to 9 p.m., students will have the opportunity to attend the JaDE Benefit Concert in the Montgomery Dance Studio.

The Benefit Concert is an annual variety show of singing and dancing.

Comprised of 20 acts featuring the Dance Team, pieces from Orchesis, the Meadville Area High School a cappella group and community performers from the Allegra Dance Studio, this show is sure to impress.

Of course, this isn’t just a reason for performers to showcase immense talents.  They are dancing for a cause. 

“We started working on it last semester,” said JaDE member Bethany Glaser, ’10. “We start fundraising as early as possible.”

By attending the concert, students will be able to give support and raise funds for the Special Olympics of Crawford County. 

Attendants can buy one–dollar raffle tickets to benefit the Special Olympics. Gift basket prizes, including a “A Taste of Meadville” basket, a finals gifbasket (which includes aromatherapy), a tanning, an Allegheny and a movie giftbasket, will be available.

JaDE will still be tabling today and tomorrow, selling their hand tie-dyed JaDE Ensemble shirts for $10.

“We are one of the biggest monetary contributors to the Crawford County division,” said JaDE member Sarah Odioso, ’10. 

According to the Special Olympics of Pennsylvania, Crawford County, the money JaDE helps raise will “provide year-round sports training and athletic competition in a variety of Olympic–type sports for children and adults with intellectual disabilities, giving them continuing opportunities to develop physical fitness, demonstrate courage, and experience joy.”

According to JaDE President, Jessica Markiewicz, ’10, the concert is also beneficial to  students.

“Our event provides attendees with a real experience of where their money is going,”  Markiewicz said.

Students will have a chance to meet with Crawford County board members, hear a speaker from the local Special Olympics, and see athletes who directly benefit. 

“Attending this concert will hopefully give the student body a taste of what this organization does,” Markiewicz said, “and its great impact on our local community, as well as bring a touch of reality to their perceptions of the Special Olympics.”

Admission is free but donations are encouraged.