Concert-fest weekend

Springfest will be in full swing, and the Third Eye Blind is just around the corner, but don’t forget that this Saturday and Sunday are also days for concert-hopping on campus, courtesy of groups on campus.

amazonaws.com

Let’s get a run-down of the full weekend of concerts:

The Allegheny College Choirs, featuring guest vocalist, soprano Vicki Jamison and pianist Wendy Plyler will be performing Saturday at 4 p.m. in Shaffer Auditorium.

Songs include both religious and secular music, ranging from Johannes Brahms “In stiller Nacht,” to “Danny Boy.”

The Allegheny College Faculty Brass Quintet, which includes music department professors Lowell Hepler, Jennifer Deardon, and Ronald Stitt.

The concert will also include Bryan Adkins and James Seydle, who will travel to Allegheny to perform with the Quintet on Sunday at 2:30 in Ford Chapel.

Acclaimed organist, Ray Cornils will also be performing.

The Allegheny College Faculty Brass Quintet is in its second year, after being encouraged to form by historian, Jonathan Helmreich.

The instrumental concerts Sunday continue with a performance by the Jazz Ensemble at 6:30 p.m. in the Campus Center.

“We brought in a ‘renowned vocal trio’ as a surprise for the audience,” said Jazz ensemble performer, Steve Cottington, ’11, “so this should go down as the best Jazz concert in Allegheny history.”

Members have multitudinous reasons to encourage students to attend, despite the busy weekend line-up.

“Number one, if people come out and see their peers, they might be surprised to see who’s in that band playing,” said Director of Jazz, Ronald Stitt. “Number two, it’s a really enjoyable program — an eclectic program. It’s not big band music, not just beebop. There’s a nice balance. I think everyone would find something they’d enjoy.”

The pleasant surprise the weekend’s concerts provide might also apply to the choir concert, or to the dance concert that is scheduled for this Sunday, as well.

The Dance majors and minors recital will begin at 6 p.m. in Montgomery gymnasium.

“The overarching theme of the concert is ‘moving forward,’” said choreographer Jessica Coven, ’10.

“Even if people aren’t attracted to the idea of dance or to watching dance, you can take away ideas from its larger concepts,” Coven said.

All concerts are free and open to the public.