Filed under Features

Enhancing movement: Orchesis Dance Company celebrates decades of dance

Dancers+perform+a+ballet+piece+to+%E2%80%9CFlares%2C%E2%80%9D+choreographed+by+Margaret+Zeller%2C+%E2%80%9920.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Dancers perform a ballet piece to “Flares,” choreographed by Margaret Zeller, ’20.

Emily Rice

Emily Rice

Emily Rice

Orchesis Dance Company performed a show in Shafer Auditorium from Wednesday, Nov. 8, to Sunday, Nov. 10.

Orchesis first started as a modern dance club at Allegheny College in the early 20th century, and in the 1980s transitioned into a performance-based company. Every year, dancers from the student body choreograph and perform various dance pieces that range in style in an entirely student-run production. Tap dance, contemporary and hip-hop pieces were all featured this year.

Choreographers included Orchesis President Kalena Grimes, ’19, Vice President Rachel Lynn, ’20, Treasurer Autumn Clark, ’19, and many others. Ishita Sinha Roy, associate professor of communication arts/theatre, acted as the adviser to Orchesis.

This year’s Orchesis theme was “Celebration,” and the production opened with a performance of the same name that included songs by Fergie, Q-Tip, Goon Rock, LMFAO and Katy Perry.

The final production number, which featured every dancer organized by class year, was set to music from “The Greatest Showman.”

About the Photographer
Emily Rice, Photographer

Emily Rice is a sophomore who is majoring in psychology and minoring in education studies. This is her first year on the newspaper staff as a photographer....